ILPERRY-L Archives

Archiver > ILPERRY > 2002-04 > 1019678045

From: Joan Burr <>
Subject: [ILPERRY] Unknown soldiers
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:54:05 -0500

Dear List,

My collateral ancestor, Rufus H BURR born sometime in 1844 in Perry Co,
IL died of disease while serving the Union in the Civil War in Shelby
Co. TN on 19 January 1865. After finding out for sure that he was listed
on the "Honor Roll" under miscellanious
as having been buried in the Mississippi National Cemetery (Incorporated
into the Memphis National Cemetery), I wrote again to the Cemetery
Director there about finding his grave site. Here is her answer-a real
shocker to me!

"On April 18, 2002 a search of the cemetery records was conducted.
There was no record of Rufus H. Burr being interred in Memphis National
Cemetery. Unfortunately there are approximately 9000 unknown soldiers
buried here from the Civil War and Mr. Rufus H. Burr could be one of

So, Dear List, if you are looking for the grave of a fallen Union
soldier from Illinois, this appears to be the end of the line. Joan in
TX

This thread: