ILMAGA-L Archives

Archiver > ILMAGA > 2005-05 > 1117409482

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [ILMAGA] Re: Rev. R. Clark in 1868, ? church
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 23:31:22 GMT

Yes, I overspoke, and I apologize. There were Catholic churches. There were Catholic explorers. By the time Chicago started growing, which was later than we tend to think, there were Catholics there. And of course the Catholics and the Episcopalians both kept complete records of baptisms so that if you can find those records you can get early birth records long before the state kept them. But proportionally to other faiths, there weren't as many of them on the frontier, which is what Illinois was even in the 1850s. This is an overgeneralization, but Catholics then tended to be urban, and IL wasn't urban yet. One church in one town typically was started by one family which attracted others and doesn't prove a trend. I'm not anti-Catholic; I've just read books on the history of religion in the migration of Americans. There were spotty settlements of Catholics in IL and as time passed, there were more and more of them until today they probably follow ethnic trends. Whe!
re there are large groupings of Poles, Italians, etc, the percentage of Catholics will be higher. Otherwise, the percentage will be like that of the general population. But that wasn't so in the first half of the 19th c. Have I make things worse or better? I really didn't mean to offend.

Doris

-- Drucilla Meany-Herbert <> wrote:
Hmmm..wonder about that too. My odd great grandfather and grandmother
came over around 1852, their son Michael was a stonemason and did some
sculpture for the Jacksonville Catholic Church there...so there was a
Church. What the name of it was or is, have no idea.
Drucilla Meany-Herbert