ILMAGA-L Archives

Archiver > ILMAGA > 2005-05 > 1117402307

From: Mary Ann Kaylor <>
Subject: Re: [ILMAGA] Re: Rev. R. Clark in 1868, ? church
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:31:47 -0500

Few Catholics in IL at that time? 1860? I find that hard to believe as
Missionary priests were the first to "visit" in southern IL when Kaskaskia
was founded, the first capitol of Illinois..... I am talking 1700s here.
And I know for a fact that Catholics settled in Central Illinois in the mid
1850s. And priests were "circuit riders" just like the Methodists, etc.,
traveling long distances to give the sacraments to those Catholics. Just
to clarify that one point.