ILHENRY-L Archives

Archiver > ILHENRY > 1998-11 > 0910726008

From: Susie Martin-Rott <>
Subject: Re: [ILHENRY-L] Research trip
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:26:48

We found the Neponset cemetery when I was up there, but with the help of a
man who was at the other cemetery in Neponset. It is, if I remember right,
west of town..going on Highway 34 from Kewanee before you get to Neponset.
There is no sign for it pointing you down the road; all we had to go on
was that we were told there was a big white house by the corner. The
cemetery is on a little tiny back road that runs between two corn fields
and about 3/4 of a mile to a mile back in on the left hand side of the road
up on a little "rise". Its a BEAUTIFUL little cemetery with a wrought iron
fence around it. The gate past the arch that says Neponset Cemetery was
unlocked when we went there.

Kewanee's library has microfilmed papers for the area, but I am not sure if
they have Galva area or not. They do have a good collection of records
though so you should definately try to go there.

Neponset has a Historical society which I didn't get to visit but everyone
says it is EXCELLENT for records.

Wish I was going with you!

If you find the Neponset Cemetery, there's a whole row of NORTON graves
near the front. At the end of that row is a grave for Mathilda Norton
Woodward...could you drop my great grandma a wild flower as you go by?

At 06:19 AM 11/17/98 EST, you wrote:
>I hope that there is someone on the list who actually lives in Henry County.
>I am going to be in Bureau and Henry Counties next Monday and Tuesday. I am
>spending Thanksgiving with my brother and his family in Kane County and am
>flying in early so that I can spend a little time looking for some additional
>information for my family research.
>I've got addresses for the two court houses and some good maps -- but I
>if anyone could tell me where I might find copies ( or microfilms) of old
>Henry County newspapers. In particular, I am looking for late 1800's
>obituaries for Galva.
>I am also interested in locating naturalization records in Bureau County and
>finding the Neponset Cemetery.
>In a more mundane line -- can anyone recommend motels and/or restaurants in
>Princeton and Cambridge? Are there any motel/hotels in Galva?
>My parents were both born and raised in Galva and I visited often as a child.
>However, I haven't been back since 1980 when I was there for my grandfather
>Binge's funeral.
>I would appreciate any suggestions or advise.
>Diane Kirkwood
>Stuart FL
>==== ILHENRY Mailing List ====
>New URL!!
>Database featuring 12,000+ Colonists and Descendants!!!
> Part of the Henry CoILGenWeb Project
Susie Martin-Rott
Henry Co ILGenWeb Project CC
Hillsborough Co FLGenWeb Project CC