ILCLARK-L Archives

Archiver > ILCLARK > 2003-01 > 1042506300

From: "J Smith" <>
Subject: Harvey McM*ll*n, born 9/26/1831 in Carroll/Jefferson Co
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 01:05:00 +0000

I'm seeking anything I can find on this man! Here is what I have...

Born on Sept. 26, 1831 in Jefferson Co, OH according to his C.W. Pension
records, and in Carroll Co, OH according to his C.W. enlistment papers.

Next we have Harvey purchasing a military land warrant from Robert Sherrard
on June 26, 1852 in Jefferson Co, OH. I haven't seen the paper yet, but was
told that Robert Sherrard got the warrant from George Taylor who received it
on 10/28/1851.

He then took this warrant to IN where he purchased 80 acres in Martin Co. We
have record of him selling half of it, but not the other half.

He doesn't appear again until his marriage to Barbary Noland (daughter of
John and Martha "Patsy" Noland) on Aug. 20, 1859 in Barr Twp, Daviess Co,
IN.

That is where we find in the 1860 census as well.

He enlisted to serve in the C.W. at Washington, Daviess Co, IN on 10/17/1864
in the place of R.T. Beckett (believed to be Ruben T. Beckett). He mustered
out at Louiseville, KY on July 24, 1865 (approx).

From there the family went to Clay Co, IN (1870 census), Clark Co, IL (1880
census), Vigo Co, IN (1890 or 1892 directory listing), Vigo Co, IN 1900
census).

Harvey then died in Vigo Co, IN on November 25, 1907. He and Barbary had 4
or 6 children, 4 of which have been identified; Mary Ann, James Ruben,
Martha "Maude", and John. Harvey was buried in Highland Lawn Cemetery in
Vigo Co, IN. He was a member of the GAR.

I do not know the names of his parent, or even exactly where he was born
(which county). There has to be some more information out there, but I
haven't found it yet...

Please help if possible!

Thanks,

Jennifer in Oregon

Surnames:
Allgood, Barcus, Birchfield, Craft, Fox, Harding, Maillet, McMillin, Noland,
Pace, Riley, Smith.

Counties:
Indiana; Clay, Daviess, Parke, Hancock, Martin, Rush, Vigo, Vermillion.
Illinois; Clark.
Pennsylvania; Beaver, Washington.
Ohio; Carroll, Jefferson.