IA-CIVIL-WAR-L Archives

Archiver > IA-CIVIL-WAR > 2008-01 > 1200891286

From: "" <>
Subject: [IA-CIVIL-WAR] Unknown Brown,died in Civil War (brother of James J. Brown, Lee Co., Iowa)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 04:54:46 -0000

Author: Maythree
Surnames: Brown
Classification: military

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.Military.united-20-states.civwar.cwia.General/12.38.1.1.3/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Hello, Nancy...

I may have posted my initial response to you in the wrong place, so I will post it again here. I hope you receive my message.

In response to your inquiry, I wasn't able to find specific information regarding your great great grandmother's brother, who died in the Civil War. However, if anyone could discover HIS NAME the locality where joined the Civil War, you might be able to access other information about his war records.

In the meantime, I was able to come across a ''James J. Brown'' in Lee County, Iowa -- who *may* be the brother that you spoke of.
The obituary of this James J. Brown (attached below), may provide some clues regarding where to look for additional records for this family, which would include parents & siblings.
Also attached below are two census records (James J. Brown, Lee County, Iowa); plus an online Civil War record for James J. Brown.
Do you know if his brother was ALSO a resident of Lee County -- when he enlisted in the Civil War?

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help...

Peace & blessings,
Cathy Porter-Maynard (in Minnesota)

-- -- -- -- --

U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865

Name: James J. Brown
Side: Union
Regiment State/Origin: Iowa
Regiment Name: 4 Iowa Cavalry.
Regiment Name Expanded: 4th Regiment, Iowa Cavalry
COMPANY: G
Rank In: First Lieutenant
Rank In Expanded: First Lieutenant
Rank Out: First Lieutenant
Rank Out Expanded: First Lieutenant
Film Number: M541 roll 3

-- -- -- -- --

94 / 95

1880 United States Federal Census

Name: James J. Brown
Home in 1880: Washington, LEE, IOWA
Age: 49
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1831
Birthplace: New York
Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
Spouse's Name: Letie
Father's birthplace: Maine
Mother's birthplace: Ohio
Occupation: Farmer
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Gender: Male

Name: Letie Brown
Home in 1880: Washington, LEE, IOWA
Age: 42
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838
Birthplace: Maryland
Relation to Head of Household: Wife
Spouse's Name: James J.
Father's birthplace: District of Columbia
Mother's birthplace: Maryland
Occupation: Keeping House
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Gender: Female

Household Members: Name / Age
James J. Brown 49
Letie Brown 42 (wife)
Samuel Combs 12 (raised; works on farm)
Francis Peters 20 (servant; laborer)

-- -- -- -- --

1885 Iowa Census

Name: James J Brown
Census Date: 1885
Residence County: LEE
Residence State: Iowa
Locality: Jefferson
Birth Location: New York
Family Number: 51
Marital Status: Married
Gender: Male
Birth Year: abt 1831

Household Members: Name / Age
James J Brown 54 (born, New York)
Ann L . Brown 48 (born, Maryland)

-- -- -- -- --

Articles From
MONTROSE, IOWA JOURNAL

SOURCE: Transcribed by Connie (Dobson) Putthoff
Lee County Iowa GenWeb Project

OBITUARY
Published: 15 October 1897:

Capt. James J. BROWN, a prominent citizen and ex-soldier of Ft. Madison [Iowa] died last Thursday. Capt. BROWN was born in St. Lawrence County, New York, on 18 August 1830. He was 7 years old when he and his parents came here. There were six other children.

He served in the Mexican and Civil Wars. He was a First Sergeant in the Mexican War. He was a First Lieutenant in the Civil War.

He is survived by his wife. In 1891 and part of 1892, he was a resident of Montrose, [Iowa].

-- -- -- -- --

Iowa Cemetery Records

Name: James J. Brown
Death Date: 12 Oct 1897
Page #: 11
Birth Date: 18 Aug 1830
Cemetery: Elmwood
Town: Fort Madison
Level Info: Grave Records of Lee County, Iowa (Part of County Only) Taken by Graves Registration Project W P A

[end]

.