HTMLHELP-L Archives

Archiver > HTMLHELP > 2005-07 > 1120237246

From: Holly Timm <>
Subject: Re: [HTMLHELP-L] Changing URLs
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:00:46 -0400

At 09:18 AM 7/1/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Is there any kind of program that will help in changing URLs when moving a
>web site from one host to another.
>
>I have a web site with over 1000 URLs and I am going to be changing hosts.
>It is an incredible amount of work to have to change each one individually.

If you used relative url's for your internal links you shouldn't need to
make any changes. If you used absolute url's for them then you will need to
use search and replace which is available in many web page programs.

>Also, what is the procedure for having a web site redirected to a new URL?

If you can leave a page behind on the old site you can use a redirect page
giving the new url and it cabn automatically send people to the new page
but otherwise, if you can not leave a page behind, there is not much you
can do.

Holly

This thread: