HOUSDEN-L Archives

Archiver > HOUSDEN > 2002-03 > 1016317263

From: Vicky Drake <>
Subject: [HOUSDEN-L] Early Benjamin History Chapter 2
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:34:09 -0700

Benjamin and Nancy had 9 children

.........2 Benjamin Housden ******************
.............+Nancy
....................3 Judith Housden
........................ +John Doval
....................3 James Housden
........................ +Marie Nauman
....................3 Benjamin Housden
........................+Elizabeth Turner
.....................*2nd Wife of Benjamin Housden:
........................+Hanna Barnes
....................3 Nancy Housden
....................3 Polly (Mary) Housden
....................3 Edward Housden
........................ +Cassandra
....................3 Fanny Housden
........................ +John Dinges
....................3 Elizabeth Housden
........................ +Samual Short
....................3 Sarah Housden
........................ +John George

Judith, the oldest child was born in 1773. She had two children, probably
in a common
law marriage with John Dovel, although both of these boys carried the
Housden surname.
They all stayed in what is now the Page County area of Virginia. Some
members of
this family migrated to West Virginia in the early to mid 1900's. Debby, who
is a member of this list and who I refer to often is the head of the Page
County
Historical Society and was a Housden until she married. She descends from
Judith.

James is the oldest son of Benjamin and Nancy. He maried Marie Nauman
in 1808. They had three daughters, that we know of. He died about 1832 and
Marie remarried Peter Doval. James daughters were:
Catherine who married Abram Judy in 1829. They had 8 children
that we
know about. One daughter, Mary Ann Catherine was 32 years old, single and l
iving in her mothers household in the 1860 census - she then disappears.
One researcher (now deceased so we can't question him) says she married
a Hager and remained in Virginia - but we can't find her. One daughter,
Susan married
a David Wine and they lived among the Wines in Augusta County, Virginia.
The rest of the children migrated west between 1860 and 1870. It seems that
they all stopped for a short time in Kusciusko County,
Indiana. Reuben married
and remained there. Some of the family are still there toda.
The rest of the family migrated to Holt County, Missouri.
Rebecca married a Samuel Griffith. They had 15 chidlren that we
can document
and there may be a 16th child. They all migrated to Holt County Missouri about
the same time as the Judy children. Connie this is your family.
Susan was a care giver for a Susanna Long Kite who was an
invalid. Apparently
she also took care of Susanna's husband George as she had an illegitimate
daughter,
Henrietta who used the Housden surname until Susan and George married and then
she used the Kite surname. Apparently there were bad feelings between
George's two
families. Susan Housden's family moved to Madison County, Virginia

Benjamin was the middle son of Benjamn and Nancy (this family had trouble
picking new names and we find James' , Johns, Williams and Benjamins all over
the place (thus the designation Benjamn the felon and Ben to Tenn - you'll
see in a minute.)
Benjamin married Elizabeth Turner in 1814 in Rockingham County, Virginia -
which made
up part of Page County when it was formed in 1832. They were in Williamson
County, Tennessee by 1818. Benjamin had a second wife Hannah Barnes that he
married in 1839. Between these two wives he had 11 children for sure and
maybe
another two or three.

1 Benjamin Housden
.. +Elizabeth Turner
......... 2 John Housden
......... 2 Nancy Housden*
......... 2 Polly Housden
.............+Samuel Chamberlain
......... 2 Benjamin Housden
.............+Susan Guy
......... 2 James Housden
.............+Elizabeth G. Crocker
.........*2nd Wife of James Housden:
.............+Mary Alice Tate
......... 2 Rebecca June Housden
.............+William Bingham Brown
......... 2 Elizabeth Housden
......... 2 Sarah Housden
.............+James Guy
......... 2 Edmond Housden
.............+Mary Ann Grubbs
......... 2 William Housden*
.............+Martha Smith
......... 2 Samuel Housden
.............+Emily Rebecca Freeland
........ 2 Henry Harrison Housden*
.............+Nancy J Freeland
......... 2 Warry Housden*
*2nd Wife of Benjamin Housden:
.. +Hanna Barnes

John has been named by an earlier researcher but I've never seen any
records of this person - he may have been confused with one of Benjamin's
grandchildren.
Nancy - again I've never found any reference to this person but
supposedly
information about her was found in the Tennessee archives and I haven't
spent lots of time there.
Polly married a Samuel Chamberlain. The Chamberlains were from
Wilson County, Tennessee. Chamberlain researchers suggest
that many of the Chamberlains migrated to ??? I can't remember but I think
Louisianna (Debby do you remember????)
Benjamin married a Susan Guy and apparently he died before 1850
somewhere
in the Nashville area. Susan was murdered in the 1870 in Nashville.
James married an Elizabeth Crocker - eventually this family
migrated to
Texas County Missouri and a branch of that family migrated to Washington
territory
and descendents of this branch make up the majority of the members of this
list.
Rebecca married a William Brown (Do you have any idea how many
William Browns
there are in this world?????????)
Elizabeth - had probably 4 children - three who may have been
fathered by a
Ware - but carried the Housden surname. They are the basis for most of the
Housdens in Western Kentucky
Sarah married a James Guy - have almost no other info about this
family.
Edmond was in Western Tennessee in the 1850's married a Mary Ann
Grubbs
and then disappears.
William married a Martha Smith. He served in the Civil War -
Confederate side
He had four children that we know of - a set of twins that died
early, Mary Ellen who
married John Hobbs -(Glenda, your family) and William P who married a
Martha Hawkins
and is probably the progenitor of the HousdAn family in Lawrence County,
Arkansas.
Samuel who married an Emily Freeland and is the progenitor of the
Bedwell and
Housden families in Poinsette County, Arkansas. Some of Samuel's family
stayed in
Western Tennesee/Kenucky. This includes the Chrisman family - Bill this is
your family.
Samuel also was in the Confederate army during the Civil War
Henry Harrison - also known as HH. Also was in the Confederate
army during the
Civil War. He married Nancy Freeland - sister of Samuel's wife Emily
Freeland. They had
three children but I don't know anything about any of them
Samuel and Henry may have been children by Benjamins second wife
Hannah.

Edmon (Edward) is named in his father's will and then disappears until 1930
when he
shows up in Delaware County married to a Cassandra (last name unknown) He had
at least 3 marriages, a really juicy divorce and 6 children. This is my
line with a
lot of holes.

Frances married a John Dinges in 1814 and this family remained in the
Shenandoah
County area. They had 7 children

Nancy - never married but had a daughter - she stayed in the Page County area.
Not much more is known about this woman's family.

Polly - is named in her father's will, She never lived as head of
household and
never married or had children. If the birth dates we have are anywhere nearly
correct she would have to have been a very premature baby - born about 6 or 7
months after Nancy. So we figured she was somehow impaired and was named
in her father's will to assure she would have the means to be cared
for. A professional
genealogist has suggested that she might have been an illegitimate child of
Benjamin's and was named in his will to give her some legitimacy.

Elizabeth married a Samuel Short in 1809 and then they disappear. We suspect
that they may be in Davidson County (Nashville) Tennessee with Benjamin
but no one has had the time to do any research on this branch

Sarah - this woman is a problem According to Shenandoah County marriage
records she married a John George in 1811 and disappears. About 1832, at
the time of the death of her brother James and re remarriage of his wife Marie
into the affluent Doval family, Sarah shows up again instituting a law suit
against
all her sibs about how James managed the estate of their mother Nancy back in
1805. In this law suit she is known as Sarah the wife of John George
Yargus. There
were two families of Yargus in the Shenandoah/Page County areas in the early
1800s. There were also a number of George families in the area. this
family still
need a lot of research.

That's the story of Benjamin the Felon's kids.

Any Questions??

Vicky

This thread: