HOPPER-L ArchivesArchiver > HOPPER > 1999-06 > 0929880629
From: "Bill Hopper" <>
Subject: [HOPPER-L] Hopper Family VA<OH, TN, AR, AL, IL PA, OR later MO., TX, OK
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:10:29 -0400
I am researching the descendants of Wade Hopper and his son, John
Hopper. who came to Pike County from Cumberland and Buckingham Counties
in Virginia in 1829. Wade Hopper was born in Scotland and married in
Scotland to his wife, Sarah. They had two daughters, Sarah and Mary, and one
son. John who was born between 1765 and 1769. According to his son, George
Bondurant Hopper, John was "old enough to know much about the revolutionary
war, though not old enough to take any active part in it." The Hoppers moved
from Cumberland Co., VA to Buckingham Co. Va., in about 1811. Nothing is
known at present about John's sisters Sarah and Mary.
Also according to my records, a Susanna Hopper married to
DANIEL JONES arrived in Ohio from Cumberland County in 1826. Both the Jones
and the Hoppers were related to the ANDERSON family and to one another.
Martha Anderson Hopper was the wife of John Hopper Jr. and the daughter of
JAMES ANDERSON back in Virginia. This same James Anderson of Virginia was
the grandfather of early Pike Co. Ohio settler JOHN ANDERSON. There was also
a JONAS ANDERSON related
to this family who already lived in Pike Co. when John Jr. and Martha Hopper
arrived in 1829 with 12 of their 14 children.
Children of John Hopper and Martha Anderson Hopper:
1. James Anderson Hopper who went directly to Alabama, never married, and
died at age 24.
2. JOEL HOPPER (b. 1805) who went to Tipton County, Tennessee and married
Susannah Winn. They had 12 children: Frances A. Hopper (b. 1834); Martha
Hopper; Wealthy Ann Woodson Hopper (b. 1836); John Hopper (b. 1838); James
M. Hopper (b. 1839); Joel D. Hopper (b. 1841); Coella Hopper (b. 1844);
William A. Hopper (b. 1845); Richard W. Hopper (b. 1848); Eliza Jennie
Hopper (b. 1850; Sarah Lee Hopper (b. 1852); and Unknown Hopper. He died
there and his family moved to Woodruff Co., Arkansas.
3. WEALTHY ANN HOPPER married PASCHAL CRUZE on Sunfish, Pike Co., Ohio and
they moved to
Illinois where he died leaving Wealthy and one child.
4. MARY HOPPER married WILLIAM BELLANY in Virginia who came along with the
Hoppers to Pike County Ohio. They had a large family of children.
5. JOHN HOPPER married MARY ANDERSON, his cousin, on Sunfish, Pike Co., Ohio
and went to
Indiana. He and Mary had 5 or 6 children. Mary died and John remarried.
6. ROBERT P. HOPPER went to Arkansas where he married and died without
7. NANCY HOPPER married JOHN A. JONES, brother of JAMES JONES of Waverly,
Pike County, Ohio.
There were, apparently two James Jones and two John A. Jones in Waverly.
John Anderson Jones was proprietor of the "Waverly Watchman" newspaper. His
brother, W. D. Jones was also well known. All of these Jones family members
are related and I am trying to assemble them correctly.
8. FRANCES HOPPER married NELSON TURNER. They lived in Piketon, Pike Co.,
Ohio till he died.
They had 2 children. Afterward she married William Sheets and they moved to
Arkansas where they had one child .
9. MARTHA HOPPER did not marry. She died in Waverly, Ohio at about 18 years
10. SARAH HOPPER married NICHOLAS LEE in Pike Co., Ohio. They went to OREGON
where they had a
number of children.
11. GEORGE BONDURANT HOPPER married DORCA WYCKOFF in Pike County on December
19, 1842. They had five sons and three daughters: WILLIAM J. HOPPER,
LOUVENIA HOPPER, AMOS
HOPPER, GEORGE W. HOPPER, JOHN HOPPER, ISADORE HOPPER, and twins: ISAAC
HOPPER and SARAH MARTHA HOPPER.
12. WILLIAM C. HOPPER who "married an Irish woman in Pittsburg,
Pennsylvania" and had four sons and two daughters in Pennsylvania.
13. ELIZABETH HOPPER who married JOHN LANCASTER, JR.. They lived in Benton
township on Sunfish, Pike Co., Ohio and had four children.
14. DANIEL W. HOPPER who married HARRIET DELAY on Sunfish and died in
Cincinnati, Ohio while a soldier in the Union Army. They had one surviving
I am researching the descendants of each of these children. Almost all of
them are from Pike County descendants. I would appreciate hearing from
anyone who thinks they are related and I will be glad to share the extensive
information I already have.
|[HOPPER-L] Hopper Family VA<OH, TN, AR, AL, IL PA, OR later MO., TX, OK by "Bill Hopper" <>|