HOPKINS-L Archives

Archiver > HOPKINS > 2000-05 > 0958009257

From: Harold Hopkins <>
Subject: [HOPKINS-L] Re Earle or Ariel Hopkins et seq
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 18:40:57 -0700

This is a response to a note with family information written
to the newslist
Tuesday. I saw it in the Digest version. I tried to answer
to the sender directly but my note has bounced twice.

I'll quote that part of the note to which my comments are
directed:

BEGIN QUOTE:

My Hopkins in NC are around the same time as your John, but
not exactly,
so perhaps he was a cousin??:

Earle Hopkins
& Rachel
| Jonathan Hopkins
| & Sarah
| | William P. Hopkins
| | & Esther Martin
| | m. 17 Mar 1821, Rockingham, NC
| | Eleanor Hopkins
| | Sarah Hopkins*
| | & Paschal/Paskel W. Jolly Sr.
| | m. 7 Dec 1824, Rockingham, NC
| | Sarah Hopkins*
| | & Michael Caffey
| | m. 19 Jan 1830, Rockingham, NC
| | Earl Hopkins
| | & Polly
| Lydia Hopkins
| Thomas Hopkins
| & Susanna Joyce
| | Elizabeth Hopkins
| | & Robert Wray
| | Lucinda (Louisiana) Hopkins
| | & James P. (Patrick?) Joyce
| | James Earl Hopkins
| | & Levina Martin Wright
| | William Pleasant Hopkins
| | & Isabel Connor
| | m. 1 Mar 1831, Rockingham, NC
| | Mary Ann Hopkins*
| | & Martin P. Wright
| | m. 3 Aug 1841, Rockingham, NC
| | Mary Ann Hopkins*
| | & Reuben A. Johnson
| | Thomas A. Hopkins
| | & Mary Ann Smith
| | m. 3 Feb 1840, Guilford Co., NC
| | Susan/Susana Hopkins*
| | & Robert Walker Jones
| | m. 30 Aug 1832, Rockingham, NC
| | Susan/Susana Hopkins*
| | & Joseph Don Watson
| | m. 10 Feb 1846, Rockingham, NC
| Sarah Hopkins
| Mary Hopkins
| Joshua Hopkins
| Rachel Hopkins
| & Abraham Dilworth
| | Harvey Dilworth
| | & Elizabeth
| | Arrington (Aventon?) Dilworth
| | & Sarah W. Westbrook
| | m. 1 Aug 1840, Guilford Co., NC
| | Manerva Dilworth
| | & Walter (Walker, Watt) Hopkins
| | m. 22 Dec 1846, Rockingham, NC
| William Hopkins
-----------------

I'd sure be interested in finding out if the two families are
connected.

Jo Dorais
http://dorais.webprovider.com//index.html

END QUOTE

Here are my comments:

Jo,

I've just read your note in the Hopkins newsletter of this
date.

I presume you're familiar with a paper called the
Moore-Hopkins Family by Beatrice Caffey Reed and Mary A.
Browning, covering a branch of the family of Earle (Ariel,
etc.) Hopkins's family.

Mary Browning a few years ago -- after her paper was written
-- found Earle and Jonathan Hopkins on a tax roll in
Dorchester Co., MD, in 1785. She has also found a
Guilford Co. court's disposition of three orphans of Earle
and Rachel Hopkins -- Joshua, Rachel, and Dennis -- placing
them in care of Samuel Fitchew (Fitzhugh), husband of Lydia,
one of Earle's older children. The name Dennis
always suggests --to me -- some kinship to my family because
that name has been frequently used in my family from the
earliest I can document it, 1752, in Orange Co. NC. I believe,

but am unable to substantiate, that my family came to Orange
Co. NC by, or earlier than, 1752, but I cannot provide
documentary unassailability that they came from the Maryland
Eastern Shore.

It appears that Colleen Flannery's ancestor John Hopkins (b.
1785) was the eldest offspring of Dennis Hopkins (1760-1850),
who moved from Clarke Co. GA to Wayne/Clinton Co. KY in 1808
This Dennis Hopkins (1760-1850) was the eldest known son of
Dennis Hopkins (b. ca. 1739 - d. after 1790), a believed son
or younger brother of John Hopkins, who was in Orange Co.

by 1752 when it was formed and who received Granville Grants
on Deep River on land entered 1755 and granted 1761 when that
area was a part of Orange Co. and again in 1862. This part
of Orange later was in Guilford and finally in Randolph Co.
NC. I descend from Moses Hopkins (c. 1769-1809), a son of the

elder Dennis. That much is documented.

Sorry this has taken up so much space. It seems to be the only
way I can get in touch with the sender. There are several
people researching the Earle Hopkins family. I can supply the
names of some of them upon request.

Harold Hopkins

This thread: