HOLLIDAY-L Archives

Archiver > HOLLIDAY > 1997-12 > 0882282293

From: "David E. Taylor" <>
Subject: Capt. D. U. Hollis and the Creek Indian Wars of 1836
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:24:53 -0500

Dave Holladay,
Finally, some names I recognize. I have been researching Taylors and
Holladays in Marion/Lamar County, Alabama for some years, as my
Ggrandparents were Robert Powell Taylor and Mary E. Holladay of Lamar
County (from Marion).

First the Taylors, they're easier. Your list mentions Bysha Taylor who you
want more information about. Bysha was the son of Joshua Taylor (my
3Ggrandfather) b 1780 in Edgecombe County, North Carolina d bef. 1830. He
was the son of Thomas Teackle Taylor b 1735 d bef Nov 1826 in Edgecombe
County, North Carolina. Thomas Teackle Taylor was the son of William
Taylor b abt. 1700 probably in Virginia (records exist of him in Edgecombe
County as early as 1736) d. 1762 in Halifax County (from Edgecombe in
1758), North Carolina.

Joshua Taylor left North Carolina in 1819/20 as his daughter Beatrice was
born in North Carolina in 1819 and daughter Catherine in Tennessee in 1820.
The family was in the 1830 Marion County, Alabama census, without Joshua,
with Beatrice (Bidy) his wife as head of household. Beatrice, wife of
Joshua Taylor died before 1870 and is probably buried in Macedonia
Primitive Baptist Church (established 1823) where she was a member near the
old William Burton Taylor farm southwest of Sulligent, Lamar County,
Alabama. Other family members are buried in the Macedonia Cemetery. Many
grave markers are missing.

Bysha Taylor b 1809 in Edgecombe County, North Carolina married Hannah and
in the 1850 Fayette County, Alabama (next to Marion County) census had the
following Children: John B. age 5, Julia age 4, and Beday age 2 (the name
Bidy was the nickname of Beatrice, wife of Joshua Taylor). I have not
researched Bysha further and do not know when and where he died. He was
the brother of my GGgrandfather William Burton Taylor father of Robert
Powell Taylor.

My Ggrandparents Robert Powell Taylor and his wife Molly (Mary E. Holladay)
were in Lamar County, Alabama in 1889 and Navarro County Texas by 1893.
Mary E. Holladay was the daughter of James D. Holladay b 1835 in Marion
County and died after the 1910 census. He married W. J. ? before 1860 and
they had 7 children. W. J. died before 1886. By 1890 James was married to
Sarah E. and in 1895 they had a son Talmidge. Talmidge Holladay was in the
1920 Lamar County census as a farm hand.

Now the trouble begins. The earliest census containing the name James D.
Holladay is 1850 where he appears in the household of Kibble Terry (a name
on the list of members of the company of Capt. D. U. Hollis during the
Creek Indian Wars of 1836) at age 15 with brothers Columbus age 17 and
Green age 19. Kibble Terry was married to Eliza A., assumed mother of the
three Holladay brothers Kibble Terry and Eliza A. had a daughter Sarrah
E. born in 1838. The family is in the 1840 census with children of the
appropriate ages. From this I assume the father of James D., Columbus, and
Green and husband of Eliza A. died about 1836.

Capt. D. U. Hollis left Moscow, Alabama (today only a crossroad southeast
of the town of Sulligent with a large Holladay cemetery) in 1836. Among
his men were Daniel and Joseph Holladay. I have always assumed these to be
the sons of Daniel William Holladay, Sr. son of Daniel Holladay, Jr. son of
Daniel Holladay, son of John "The Ranger" Holladay.

Daniel William Holladay, Sr. had sons Daniel William Holladay, Jr. b Aug
03, 1805, William Holladay b 1807, James Holladay b May 03, 1811, and
Joseph A. Holladay b Jul 08, 1816. Of these sons, William is a mystery to
me. He disappears and is pretty much the only choice for the first husband
of Eliza A. and father of James D, Columbus, and Green Holladay. It seems
probable that he too enlisted in the Army during the Indian Wars. But
where's the proof?

The families of Daniel William Holladay, Sr., Daniel William Holladay, Jr.,
Kibble Terry, and Darrell Upright Hollis all lived close together and the
families seriously intermarried. In the 1830 Marion County census on one
page are Daniel Holladay 2nd (Daniel William, Sr.), Daniel Holladay 3rd
(Daniel William, Jr.), John Holladay (possibly the youngest son of Daniel b
1753), Bidy Taylor (wife of Joshua Taylor, father of Bysha), and two
Bankhead families. In The 1840 census Kibble Terry, D. U. Hollis, and D.
Holladay (Daniel William Holladay, Jr.) appear on the same page.

I think William Holladay b 1807 is the father of my GGgrandfather James D.
Holliday. He may have died in the Creek Indian Wars of 1836, maybe before
Capt. Hollis' band of warriors left Moscow Alabama. Any help?

Dave

David E. Taylor
West Hartford, Connecticut

This thread: