HAYDEN-L Archives

Archiver > HAYDEN > 2007-06 > 1181759804

From: Ernie Jones <>
Subject: Re: [HAYDEN] John of 1630
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:36:44 -0700

I do not have a solid source for this, only a note from a deceased
Hayden relative whom I've never met or talked to. She did do some
pretty heavy research though. Her note says that John's brother
William was an "English Baronet". IMPORTANT to note here that I have
not seen any real evidence to verify this. However, if it were true
that would make John the younger brother not William. The Baronet
title would be inherited by the oldest male child born in wedlock.
When looking at the A, B, & C passenger lists for the Mary & John it
could look like John is the younger, but it's not real clear. Anyone
have input???

http://www.maryandjohn1630.com/passengerlist_c.html shows William as
18 and John as 17. Another source http://www.pennlaird.com/eggleston/
MnJ.html shows William born in 1616 making him 13/14 years old when
coming to America. I suspect this source was in error so I didn't
pay much attention to it beyond noting this.

It is not clear, as I think we know, if John and/or William were on
the Mary & John. However, this ship was only one of many during
1630/31 bringing Puritans to the new world. (Someone please correct
me if I'm wrong.) My conclusion is that if they were not on the Mary
& John herself then they would have been on one of the sister ships.
Right???

There is a possibility that John's father may have been Gideon, but
not the Gideon of Cadhay Ottery St. Mary. HOWEVER, I want to be
clear that I only throw this out for thought and consideration and
that I don't have even a slight shred of evidence to support this.
It's just something to ponder - after all John had to have had a
father and Gideon is a possible name, but then so is Fred, William,
or Henry. His father being Gideon COULD explain the confusion.
Again I'm only offering this for thought and I don't want to confuse
things.