HAY-L ArchivesArchiver > HAY > 2010-04 > 1272344383
From: Arlene Halme <>
Subject: Re: [HAY] william james wilkins
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:59:43 -0700
Should have mentioned that the town Hay is named for
By October 1859 the township had been named "Hay" after John Hay (later Sir John), a wealthy squatter from the Upper Murray, member of the NSW Legislative Assembly and former Secretary of Lands and Works
Sir John Hay KCMG (23 June 1816 – 20 January 1892) was a New South Wales politician.
Hay was born at Little Ythsie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, the son of John Hay (a farmer) and his wife Jean, née Mair. Hay graduated M.A. at King's College (now part of the University of Aberdeen), in 1834, and then studied law at Edinburgh, but did not finish it. In 1838 Hay married Mary Chalmers and they travelled to Sydney on the Amelia Thompson, arriving on 1 July and settled at Welaregang on the Upper Murray. Hay migrated to Sydney in 1838 and took up land in the Murrumbidgee district and became a successful squatter