HAMRICK-L Archives

Archiver > HAMRICK > 1997-03 > 0858748401

From: "Jill O'Neall Ching" <>
Subject: Re: Obituary for my Elizabeth
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 19:13:21 -1000

Some of the
story of Elizabeth is on my Hamrick website (url's
below) the rest is in my forthcoming
book, she was a "good woman" the obit said!!!
I have a drawerful of obits, they give so much info on the
life and times of our ancestors, I wouldn't be happy without checking
every newspaper in an area where an ancestor lived/died.
Briefly what I know is they left Missouri in 1850 and came to
Amador CA in the fall, when she gave birth right away to her daughter
Cosumnes California Hamrick.

Next she had my great grandmother
Sarah. I don't have too much info about the journey, but I know they
had an ox train and 2 small children and she was with child. Also they
arrived with a train called McMurry, a family that Cosumnes later married
into. She was known as Aunt Cozie by my great aunts.
Elizabeth and Jesse were the pioneers, he is listed in the
CA Room with a Pioneer Card, and a portrait in their photo collection
(which I paid $17 for a
copy of).
They had a large farm near Amador and Jesse had a "toll road" and
Elizabeth had children, 11 altogether. When I visited their graves last
summer
they were large, white marble 5' tall, five graves in a row.
My granny was Elizabeth's grandaughter.

Wish I had more info about the journey, I am left to imagine their trip on
the
dusty, dangerous trail.
Aloha, Jill
Aloha and Mahalo Nui Loa from Maui.....Jill O 'Neall Ching...
http://www.maui.net/~mauifun/genweb.htm
Listowner:O'Neall, Hamrick, Calvert, Towne, Wentworth, Riley, and Rhodes.
List Rules: http://www.maui.net/~mauifun/email.htm
"O'Neall Cousins Project" http://www.maui.net/~mauifun/hugh.htm
Maui CountyUSGenWeb Coordinator, http://www.maui.net/~mauifun/maui.htm
I am always happy to share!