HAMRICK-L Archives

Archiver > HAMRICK > 1997-03 > 0858727296

From: "Jill O'Neall Ching" <>
Subject: My New Surname Search Database Online!!!
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:21:36 -1000

Wow! I did it! It took me a day and a half (takes most people an hour)
but I got all of my current FTM files onto the web on a database, I used
ged2www, which converted my gedcom to html and then got a free
site on the www at geocities.com (you just look for a vacancy-I found mine
in Heartland/Hills, but hurry cause most sites are full)
From there I uploaded my gedcom using the conversion
system built by Les Howard (his email address on my database homepage).
I started with a small group, only 357 individuals, with 112 different
surnames,
Les talked me thru it and was real helpful. Now some of my surnames
are available for anyone who would like to try to connect with me!
I will add many more as I have time to reenter them (before my crash I had
1500
surnames entered, ouch!)
Anyway this program is awesome! Once I figured things out it took 2 minutes
create the www pages from my gedcom) I am not the person to help you do
this
tho, Les is, I doubt if I could do it again!!!! But he will be there the
next time I
want to, his software is free too.
Check out my page for Surnames,etc: first go to my main page, and click
on the hand then click on Surname Database and you will be in my
database!!!

http://www.maui.net/~mauifun/genweb.htm

Note Heartland/Hills and geocities is kind of slow in high peak times, I
had operation
time outs a few times, other times it clicked right in when I was checking
things out,
so be patient!
Be glad to help with moral support, but lack the type of tech
support to really help you do it, very very basically what I had to do
was: (remember
I am the original stupid dinosauer computer person, only been doing this
14 months):

1) Download the software from Les' site, (click on his url on my Surname
Search page)
2) Put his software in a directory on your computer (file)
3) Download a zip program, I used pkunzip.
4) Put it into the same directory as the ged2www software from Les
5) Put your gedcom in there too (coverted from FTM has a .ged extension)
6) Download a ftp program like ws_ftp for uploading your files to www
STIR WELL
7) Open up the ged2www file and answer the questions
8) When it says to answer yes to the first question about "your
html-directory
files?" answer yes as it will not harm them at all
9) Continue to answer the questions, your files will create in 2 minutes!!!
10) This is as far as I can remember, after that you ftp it to the www site
where you want it seen (I used a free site at geocities cause I am running
out of space
with my local isp)
11) Les will help you out! His site has directions!

Les' site: http://www.netcom.com/~lhoward/ged2www.html

Anyway its great, have fun! Jill

Aloha and Mahalo Nui Loa from Maui.....Jill O 'Neall Ching...
http://www.maui.net/~mauifun/genweb.htm
Listowner:O'Neall, Hamrick, Calvert, Towne, Wentworth, Riley, and Rhodes.
List Rules: http://www.maui.net/~mauifun/email.htm
"O'Neall Cousins Project" http://www.maui.net/~mauifun/hugh.htm
Maui CountyUSGenWeb Coordinator, http://www.maui.net/~mauifun/maui.htm
I am always happy to share!