HAMILTON-L Archives

Archiver > HAMILTON > 2008-11 > 1228058054

From: "" <>
Subject: [HAM] Alexander Hamilton and Ann Mitchell
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 15:14:14 -0000

Author: photo66666
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.hamilton/7000/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

I am trying to track down the Pittsburgh family of Alexander Hamilton and his cousin Ann Mitchell.

Alexander Hamilton introduced a Whiskey Tax that resulted in a Whiskey Rebellion in Pittsburgh in 1794. I am going through cemetery records at the Versailles Cemetery in Pittsburgh. A small plot inside the cemetery contain the following names known to be connected to Alexander Hamilton.

Lewis, Fawcett, Pollock, Fulton, Mitchell, Sill, Gallatin, Myers, Faix (Lafayette) and Walker.

I understand that Alexander Hamilton's mother Rachael Fawcett had a sister named Ann Fawcett. That sister had a daughter also named Ann who married Charles Mitchell. I also understand Alexander Hamilton grandmother was Elizabeth Pollock who was staying with Robert Fulton's family in Pittsburgh around the same time as the Whiskey Rebellion in the fall of 1794.

Mrs Ann Mitchell was a cousin named as such in the Will of Alexander Hamilton after he died as a result of being shot by Aaron Burr.

Important Note: