GenMassachusetts-L Archives

Archiver > GenMassachusetts > 2010-10 > 1287152817

Subject: Re: [GENMASSACHUSETTS] NORRIS family from Lancashire England
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:26:57 -0000

Author: DonnaMilano
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.massachusetts.unknown/7241.1.2.3.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

PGH Ally PA= Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.

Rhode Island is 887 km away from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Poughkeepsie, New York, is 634 km away from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

It was not uncommon though for people to move a lot, sometimes great distances, in search of work. I don't think it's impossible for the same George to have been in all those places, it's just the difference in place of birth that is the concern.

You had mentioned that on a manifest Ethel said she was going to Philadelphia. That is in Pennsylvania also, about 490 km away from Pittsburgh.

Jones and Laughlin Steel Company is out of business (Pittsburgh was a hugh steel-producing city for over 80 years).

I don't have any way to trace who would be living at that address now, and I doubt anyone currently living there would know the Norris family.

There is a 1940 US city directory on Ancestry that shows George Norris residing at 4204 Gladstone in Pittsburgh, but 1940 is the latest issue there is for Pittsburgh.

Google News Archives contains a lot of articles and obituaries--you can search there:
http://news.google.com/archivesearch

Newpaperarchives.com is also a resource, but you need to subscribe:
http://newspaperarchive.com/

If you don't find anything, you may want to post a request on the Pennsylvania board for someone to look up the obit.

I will do some additional searching to see what I can find.

Important Note: