GenMassachusetts-L Archives

Archiver > GenMassachusetts > 2010-05 > 1273091599

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [GENMASSACHUSETTS] Family Research (BROWN, Fitchburg, 1900's)
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 20:33:19 -0000

Author: SMULVEY
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.massachusetts.unknown/441.5.1.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Hi Millie,
After looking at your other posts which states you father was Chester F. Brown. I looked on Ancestry.com and found his WWII draft registration card:
It has "deceased 5-27-1942" handwritten across it.
Chester Franklin Brown, residence; 184 Main St., Leominister, age 45, born Clinton, date of birth; 30 May 1896, wife; Ellen Brown, he was 5 feet 7 inches and weighed 153 lbs., had blue eyes, brown hair and a light complexion, he was unemployed. Registered in Leominister, Mass.

So then I looked at the 1900 census to find Chester:
In Leominister, 16 Jun 1900, Grant Street, Dwelling 110, Family 838:
John H. Brown, head, Black, male, born June 1865, age 34, married, married for 4 years, born Florida as were his parents, occupation; farm laborer, able to read and write, rents a house.
Lizzie C. Brown, wife, white, female, born Feb. 1871, age 29, married 4 years, had 4 children with 1 still living, born Mass., parents born Rhode Island.
Chester F. Brown, son, white, male, born May 1896, age 4, single, born Mass.
Then I went to newenglandancestors.org Vital Records and found the marriage record for John and Lizzie:
Volume 462, Page 475, #88 in Leominister.
John H. Brown (M) [I believe this is for mulatto], residence; Leominister, age 31, occupation; farmer, born Key West, Florida, parents Charles and Amy (Lewis), first marriage.
Elizabeth Boyd (M), residence; Leominister, age 25, housework, born Southboro, parents; Joseph and Amanda (Lewis), first marriage.
Married by Rev. George H. Van Buren of Malden.

Important Note: