GenMassachusetts-L Archives

Archiver > GenMassachusetts > 2003-10 > 1067348593

Subject: Re: [GM-L] Our ancestors had itchy feet !
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:43:13 EST

In my post regarding the treatment of Quakers, etc., there was no intention
to offend anyone.

Plymouth Colony, where Arthur Howland resided, was of course a separate
government from the Massachusetts Bay Colony until 1691. Although they [Plymouth
Colony] also felt threatened by this new movement, they were more tolerant than
Massachusetts Bay which had hanged four Quakers between 1659-1661. (See
Stratton, Plymouth Colony, 89ff).

The law I quoted pertained only to Quakers and was passed on 14 October 1657
(See Shurtleff, Records of the Governor and Company of the Massachusetts Bay
in New England, volume 4, page 345ff). The law was enforced only when certain
conditions were met (or not met) so surely, everyone who professed Quakerism
did not suffer such drastic consequences.

I hope this clarifies what, apparently, was misunderstood.

This thread: