GenMassachusetts-L Archives

Archiver > GenMassachusetts > 1999-05 > 0928081752

From: <>
Subject: Boston Weekly Journal - Gleanings, etc.
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 12:29:12 -0400

Boston Weekly Journal, Thursday, Aug. 6, 1885

Crimes and Casualties
St. Johnsbury, VT., July 31. The worst smash-up that ever happened on
the Vermont Division of the Boston and Lowell Railroad took place
tonight. A mixed train with two engines left this place west at 6
o'clock. When four miles from here it rain into a washout. Howard
Hauson, a brakeman on the train says: "I was forward brakeman; was on
top of the sixth car when I heard a crash and saw the engines go down one
side of the track and the cars on the other; I jumped off; six cars went
off and one engine was on top of the other; both boilers burst. Frank
Place, a fireman, was caught by the leg between his engine and a rock.
Joe Reed, an engineer, was badly burnt of scalded about the face, and
Fred Lawrence, engineer, and Dan Cotta, his fireman, on the first engine,
were missing. I detached the passenger car and came back to St.
Johnsbury for help. It being all the way down grade I got here without
the aid of an engine."
A train with physicians and help has left for the wreck. The showe
which caused the washout was the severest here this year. Lightning
struck in one or two places here, frightening people generally, but doing
but slight damage. Highwasy were badly washed.
The train which went to the wreck has just returned, bringing Reed and
Place, who are seriously but not fatally injured. Nothing can be found
of Lawrence and Cotta, and they are undoubtedly dead on their engine.
Lawrence was a young married man, and leaves a widow and one child; Cotta
was not married.
St. Johnsbury, VT., Aug. 1. The bodies of Lawrence and Cotta, engineer
and fireman on the train which ran into a washout on the Boston and
Lowell, Vermont division, were recovered about 12 o'clock last night.
Lawrence was badly crushed and cut about the face. Cotta was caught
under the wood from the tender and was evidently drowned, as the engine
was under water. Their remains were brought to this place. They were
both residents of this village, and their families are receiving much
attention and sympathy.

Other New England Matters
East-Bound Travelers Robbed
Portland, ME., Aug. 1. Ivory Whitten of Walpole, MA, was robbed of $50
and a silver watch, Thomas E. Stearns of Cambridge, MA, of $13 and Thomas
Green of $8 and a watch on the Boston boat this morning. They occupied
berths and the money was taken from their clothes during the night.
Leonard Sullivan and Charles Green of Boston were arrested on the arrival
of the boat here on the charge of having committed the robberies. A
check for Mr. Whitten's baggage was found on Sullivan.

Held for Manslaughter
Springfield, MA., July 30. Thomas Loughran of Wilbraham was held today
in default of $5000 sureties to answer at the Sept. term of the Superior
Court on a charge of manslaughter in killing John Comins July 16.

A Conductor Badly Injured
Bridgeport, CT., July 30. Conductor Scott of this city this morning
while running along the top of some freight cars fell to the ground,
breaking his hip. It is thought he injuries will prove fatal.

Sad Death by Drowning
The community of Watertown learned with suprise and pain, thought
Tuesday's papers, of the death by drowning of Mr. George K. Snow.
Accompanied by his wife he was occupying a cottage at the Bass Rocks,
Gloucester, and was on his way from Boston to his home there when he with
others concluded to enjoy a bath. While in the water he was either taken
with a cramp or a fit, and life had become extinct before he culd be
reached. The deceased was born at Orleans, MA, and was 58 years old. He
came to Boston when a young man, and had lived in Watertown over twenty
years, where he occupied a comfortable estate on Summer street. He
leaves a widow and two sons, one now traveling in Europe on a pleasure
trip in company with Mr. Dolan of Watertown, and the other an employe of
the Reversible Collar Company.

New England Gleanings

The Baptists at Chatham have called Rev. Mr. Purvis of Brewster

Eugene A. Wright, freight conductor on Vermont and Massachusetts
Division, was seriously injured at Fitchburg Wednesday night. He was
making up a train and fell between the cars, and the wheels of the rear
car went over his left hand. One bone of his right leg was broken, his
left arm was badly fractured, and the hand was so badly mangled that two
fingers and a part of the hand had to be amputated.

Rev. J. W. Morrill has tendered his resignation at the Rock Baptist
Church in Middleboro.

Rev. J. M Bartholomew of North Adams has received a unanimous call to the
Universalist Church of Spencer.

The late Capt. Benjamin Freeman bequeaths to Brewster Cemetery $1000 in
trust, the interest to be used toward keeping the cemetery in order.

The Sentinel says that Miss Hattie J. Battles of Fitchburg recently drove
eight horses, drawing a 'bus containing some 30 passengers, from River
Street Bridge down Main street to her uncle's stable, turning the short
corners between Main street and the stable in safety, something which
very few men could do.

Prof. W. S. Tyler and Rev. J. Taylor have recently made generous gifts of
books to the Attleboro Public Library.

Rev. A. B. Lovewell, a Methodist preacher, died at Bolster's Mills
recently of heart disease.

Rev. G. W. F. Hill, Free Baptist, was reordained by a council of Baptist
ministers at St. George recently.

Mr. J. C. Hall of Bangor, Bowdoin '85, has been elected Principal of the
High School at Mankato, MN., and has accepted the position.

The Boothbay Register says that Capt. Jason Collins of Gardiner has been
appointed Deputy Inspector for the port of Boothbay to fill the vacancy
caused by the resignation of C. H. Fisher.

Last Thursday night burglars entered Charles P. Ingraham's residence in
Portland and stole $350 from his clothes, which lay on a chair near his

Victor Brett of Bangor has been appointed Lieutenant and Adjutant of the
Second Brigade, Maine Volunteer Militia.

New Hampshire
Hon. George A. Pillsbury, the millionaire flour manufacturer of
Minneapolis, MN, is on a visit to Concord, where he formerly resided.

Rev. E. Harmon has resigned the pastorate of the Congregational Church at

Prof. John Foster of St. Mary's School at Faribault, MN, is the guest of
ex-Judge Jeremiah Smith at Dover.

Ward Messer, a veteran soldier of Bow, died on Thursday at 63.

Mrs. Elizabeth Bunnell of Claremont died recently at 92.

A house in Quincy, occupied by Isaac L. Craig, was struck by lightening
on Wednesday morning, the electric fluid passing through every room and
setting a fire, but injuring no one.

The surviving soldiers from this state who went to Portsmouth Harbor
during the war have formed the Fort Constitution Veterans' Association,
with officers as follows: President, I. B. Littlefield; Vice President,
J. S. Abbott; and Secretary and Treasurer, George A. Webster.

Rev. E. Owen of Lyndon, VT, was installed pastor of the Free Baptist
Church at Meredith Village on Wednesday.

A stage coach was upset at the Hillsboro Bridge depot Friday night. Oran
Peaslee, Representative from Washington, was thrown from the seat, fell
under the coach, and was quite badly bruised.

George A. Dickey has been re-elected Principal of the Hillsboro Bridge

Rev. E. Harmon of Winchester tendered his resignation as pastor of the
Congregational Church on the 28th ult.

Luther Boyington of Springfield, VT, and Frank Boyington of California,
brothers, met a few days ago at Charlestown after a separation of 35

John S. Remick, Representative in the Legislature from Rye, has been
excused from attendance for the remainder of the session on account of
serious illness.

Joseph M. Folsom of Belmont, ex-Bank Commissioner, is in a critical
condition, the result of a stroke of paralysis.

Rev. Frank P. Tompkins of Claremont is to deliver the oration at
Springfield, VT., on Saturday..

William H. Brown was drowned while bathing in the Wells Pond at Belmont
Sunday. A comrade nearly lost his life in attempting to rescue him.

F. J. Pettibone, a farmer at North Pownal, had his left arm cut off at
the elbow in a threshing machine on Thursday afternoon.

M. L. Ames of Holland awoke early in the morning, recently, to find his
buildings on fire. He succeeded in putting ou the fire and discovered
that birch bark, kerosene and other combustible matter had been used in
an incendiary attempt to burn his house.

The Rutland Herald says that Mr. Pickard hs asked the committee to
release him from his engagement as Principal of the Black River Academy,
having received another invitation.

Aunt Dolly White of Newbury celebrated her 102d birthday July 22. She
has recently lost her eyesight but her mind is still clear and her memory
very fresh. She repeats poetry and Scripture with the same precision and
dignity as she was wont to 25 years ago.

Dr. Nathan Gale of Orwell, though he is 84 years old, is an active
practitioner. This is his sixtieth year as physician in Orwell.

A son of Charles Dumague, 10 years old, was drowned at Danielsonville on

The will of the late W. O. Armstrong of New Haven leaves $9000 to

Mrs. Baldwin of Birmingham, the 75 year old wife of Harry Baldwin age 22,
has withdrawn her suit for divorce.

More to follow.

Marilyn Labbe

This thread: