GUS-REEB-L Archives

Archiver > GUS-REEB > 2006-04 > 1145561887

From: "Diann Charlotte Dillow" <>
Subject: Re: [GUS-REEB] Carolina Medical History
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:38:07 -0500

Thank you for replying to me. I worked in a hospital for 9 years, so my
medical interest is within me.

My Mother, Fern Dillow, nee Reph had tremors so badly that by the end of her
life, she would shake all over. Not always, but definitely most of the
time. The doctor told her she had Parkinson's Disease. She took L Dopa,
but didn't like the effects. However, she did not die due to the Disease.
My Mom's intestines ruptured and she never fully recovered. She did live
until she was 85.

My sister, Joann has some neuromuscular problems also, she can barely get
around. Joann, also has tremors in both hands. Joann will not have her
problems diagnosed. She also has diabetes.
I have a tremor in my right hand. It is not to bad, sometimes it is worse
than other times. I also have an enlarged liver, which I am having looked
into. I have not been diagnosed yet. I had Epstein Barr Virus 2 years ago
and I was hospitalized because it was so bad. I did not have a positive
Mono Spot. It just effected my muscles and I had severe cramps and fever.
At that time my spleen and liver were both enlarged.
My Grand Father Reph died in the flu epidemic of 1918, so I really can't say
what he would have naturally died of. His Brother, Thomas E Reph died of
diabetes complications. Elsie Dotter, nee Reph, their sister died of a
heart attack. Elsie also had trouble walking. She had to slide down the
stairs in order to get breakfast ready. All the other children died young.
Elsie Reph's children all died of some type of cancer. I will look into
more relatives. Thanks, Diann Dillow
dcdr

>Subject: Re: [GUS-REEB] Carolina Medical History
>Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 01:20:42 EDT
>
>Thanks for the nice welcome, Diann. Medical research was part of my job
>as
>a paralegal, years ago, and a natural extension of my genealogy research.
>have gathered death certificates for many of our Raye/Rappe/Rapp/Rape/Reeb
>family members here in NC, and have contacted many cousins who share their
>family medical history with me. All contributions to the
>Reeb/Rape/Rappe/Rapp/Raye
>family medical history will be much appreciated. We will all benefit from
>sharing this information. I will gladly respond to any questions about my
>findings here in NC.
>
>This is what I have learned so far:
>Many of my living cousins struggle with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
>(NAFLD). Numerous deaths were attributed to liver or kidney disease. I do
>not
>know whether these disorders are higher for our Rape family than the
>national
>average. Arteriosclerosis, coronary heart disease, diabetes, and lung
>diseases do not appear unusually high. My grandfather, Charles Lee Rappe
>of
>Charlotte NC died of a cerebral hemorrhage, at about age 54. There is a
>notably high
>incidence of brain aneurysms in one branch of the Rape family of this
>area.
>My father, Charles Jefferson Raye (b. 11 Oct 1917, d. Sep 1998) died of
>emphysema.
>
>Yes, there is also a personal reason for my interest in neuromuscular
>disorders. My brother was Charles Patterson Raye (b. 16 Sep 1944 NC, d. 3
>Sep 2003
>SC). He was diagnosed with a rare type of Muscular Dystrophy known as
>FSHD.
>His diagnosis was confirmed by muscle biopsy and DNA tests. I do not have
>that
>same variant of the 4q35 gene. I was diagnosed for many years with
>"clinically positive" MS, Multiple Sclerosis. Doctors were intrigued by
>the similar
>symptoms of my brother & me, as well as the dissimilarities. They
>suggested I
>pursue our genealogy & family medical history. This eventually lead to a
>partial explanation.
>
>My great-grandmother, wife of Charles Jefferson Rape of Union County NC,
>was
>Nancy Jane Mills. She was the daughter of James Albert Mills Sr. & Nancy
>Malinda Maples. I learned that my many Mills relatives from the Pageland
>SC-Monroe NC area have a high incidence of an inherited neuromuscular
>disorder known
>as Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT) syndrome. CMT is a slowly progressive
>weakness
>that resembles MS and varies greatly. Medical research is now identifying
> [...]

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!