GREATON-L Archives

Archiver > GREATON > 2007-06 > 1181053178

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [GREATON] Lee Greaton
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 14:19:38 -0000

Author: WGreaton
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.greaton/4.1.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Thank you for your information on Lee Greaton. We previously communicated in March, 2006.
My writing by Wilson Greaton, circa 1810, and the 1810 cencus place the family of Nathan Greaton in Wilbraham, MA at that time. The town records of Somerset, MA document Nathan's birth on July 28,1759 and the marriage of his parents, James and Hannah Baldwin on April 27, 1749. The same town records reflect that Nathan was the youngest of six children; the oldest, John, was General John Greaton in the Revolutionary War. We can only assume this is our Nathan Greaton, since no others appear in Census or other records.
My grgrgrandfather's birthdate is given as 20 April 1795 in a genealogical history of the Stevens family,however, I question its authenticity since it gives New Portland, ME as his place of birth--it is clear he was born in Ellington, CT and then moved to Wilbraham sometime prior to 1810. The family then moved to New Portland, ME prior to 1820.
My undocumented data reflects five children of Nathan: Learnard, born 1789, m. Clarissa Walker; unknown dau born 1785-1790; Wilson born 20 April 1795, died 18 Oct 1849 (his tombstone says "age 54yr 6mo"; Lee born 1795-1800; unknown son born aft 1810.
Once the family arrived in Maine my information about Nathan and his son, Wilson, is documented in family records.
Many years ago I had contact with relatives of Learnard, but we were not able to add any documentation.
Very good to be back in contact.
Wil Greaton

Important Note: