GRANT-L Archives

Archiver > GRANT > 2000-09 > 0968202435

From: Eleanor Lee Gaunt <>
Subject: [GRANT-L] 2 Grant Families Scotland-Canada-
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:07:15 -0700

Hello Floyd,
The Finlay Grants :-) are listed below and The Lewis Grants below that.
I think the answer is
Scotland. :-)

1. FINLAY1 GRANT was born in ? Scotland. He married MARGARET
CAMERON. Below listed from
Scottish Church Records.

Children of FINLAY GRANT and MARGARET CAMERON are:
2. i. PETER2 GRANT, b. Abt. 1794, Lochaber, Inv. (?) Scotland; d.
November 23, 1884, Lancaster,
Glengarry, Ontario, Canada, 90 yrs. of age..
ii. ALEXANDER GRANT, b. 1796.
iii. CHRISTIAN GRANT, b. 1799.
iv. MARY GRANT, b. 1800.
v. ISOBEL GRANT, b. January 15, 1801.
vi. DONALD GRANT, b. 1803.
vii. ALLEN GRANT, b. April 13, 1803, Inverness, Scotland.
viii. EVAN GRANT, b. April 20, 1805.
ix. DUNCAN GRANT, b. 1806.
x. HUGH GRANT, b. October 22, 1807.

More About HUGH GRANT:
Christening: October 22, 1807
xi. DONALD GRANT, b. November 24, 1810.

Generation No. 2

2. PETER2 GRANT (FINLAY1) was born Abt. 1794 in Lochaber, Inv. (?)
Scotland, and died November
23, 1884 in Lancaster, Glengarry, Ontario, Canada, 90 yrs. of age.. He
married ISOBELLA GRANT
1822 in Glenmoriston, Scotland,
daughter of LEWIS GRANT and ELIZABETH MCDONELL. She was born October
05, 1798 in
Invernsesshire, Parish of Boleskine, Scotland, and died January 06, 1889
in Lancaster (?)
Glengarry, Ontario, Canada, 91 yrs. old.

More About PETER GRANT:
Burial: St. Andrews Presbyterian Church of Scotland, Lancaster 2nd conc.

Census: 1852, Mary Grant listed with family but NOT a family member:
(sister of APG ?)

More About ISOBELLA GRANT:
Burial: St. Andrews Presbyterian Church of Scotland, Lancaster 2nd conc.

Children of PETER GRANT and ISOBELLA GRANT are:
3. i. HANNAH3 GRANT, b. Abt. 1823, Glengarry Co., Ontario, Canada; d.
Abt. 1907, Probably
Ottawa Living in Ogdensburgh and Lancaster NY in 1845.
ii. HELEN (ELLEN) GRANT, b. June 11, 1825, Glengarry, Onatario, Canada;
m. KENNETH MCLENNAN.
iii. ISOBEL-LA GRANT, b. June 25, 1827; m. ALEX SANDY MCGREGOR (2ND
WIFE ISOBEL-LA); b.
Glengarry Co., Ontario.

More About ISOBEL-LA GRANT:
Baptism: July 28, 1827

iv. LEWIS (LOUIS) GRANT, b. December 12, 1829, Glengarry Co., Ontario;
d. November 07, 1849,
19 yrs. and 7 mo. old; m. SINGLE.
More About LEWIS (LOUIS) GRANT:
Christening: February 08, 1830

v. MARGARET "AUNT MAGGIE" GRANT, b. April 24, 1832, Glengarry Co.,
Ontario; d. November 27,
1922, 20 yrs. of age, died prior to marriage; m. SINGLE.

More About MARGARET "AUNT MAGGIE" GRANT:

Baptism: Abt. June 24, 1832

vi. ELIZABETH (BETSY) GRANT, b. 1834, Glengarry Co., Ontario PER Aunt
Jessie: January 24,
1916; d. January 24, 1916, 18 yrs. of age, Never Married; m. SINGLE.
vii. ALLAN PETER GRANT, b. 1836, Glengarry Co., Ontario; d. 1926, Took
over the Family Farm of
his parents in New Lancaster. (the Post Office listing is Glengordon)
South of the Cheese ?
Store. Six roads East of the Grand
Trunk RR on the road leading directly from Lancaster..

More About ALLAN PETER GRANT:
Burial: 16 yrs. old in 1852 Census

viii. EWAN GRANT, b. January 14, 1839, Glengarry Co., Ontario; d.
February 07, 1839.

More About EWAN GRANT:
Baptism: February 07, 1839
Christening: February 07, 1839
Named: For Peter's Brother Evan

ix. HUGH GRANT (DIED IN INFANCY), b. Abt. January 18, 1839, Glengarry
Co., Ontario; d.
February 01, 1839, 14 days old at death.
x. ANNIE (NANCY) GRANT, b. Abt. 1840, Glengarry Co., Ontario; 13 yrs.
old in 1852 census; d.
April 18, 1864; m. ALEX SANDY MCGREGOR (WIFE #1 ANNIE).
xi. DONALD GRANT, b. 1843, Glengarry Co., Ontario, 9 yrs. old in 1852
census; d. 1852 Census
was 17 yrs. of age and listed "in school".; m. BELLAN MCNAUGHTON.
Generation No. 3

3. HANNAH3 GRANT (PETER2, FINLAY1) was born Abt. 1823 in Glengarry Co.,
Ontario, Canada, and
died Abt. 1907 in Probably Ottawa Living in Ogdensburgh and Lancaster NY
in 1845. She married
ALPINE GRANT August 20, 1845 in Town of
Ogdensburgh in the State of New York, son of JAMES GRANT and MARY
GRANT. He was born October
04, 1811 in Dalreichert, Scotland, and died October 19, 1874 in Gatineau
Point, Quebec (Family
Sheet suggest 1907).

More About HANNAH GRANT:
Burial: Beechwood Cemetary, Ottawa Canada Age: 84 Cemetary Records

Notes for ALPINE GRANT:
In 1852 Census there are "others" possible living in the house: It was
a Frame House of 1 1/2
Stories
Located in The town of Brockville The East ?Hall in The County of
Leeds:

Alpine Grant Gardner Scotland, 40 years
Hannah Grant Canada, 29 years
Mary Grant United States 6yrs.
Allan P. Grant Canada 4 yrs.
Jennet Grant Canada 2 yrs.

Mary Leonard: Servant England Roman Catholic: 16 yrs.
Allan Grant: Laborour Scotland 28 or 38
John Mckenzie Laborour Free ? Presbyterian ? 39
Allan Mckenzie Soapmaker 36
Donald ? Laborour 21
John ? Gardner England 26

More About ALPINE GRANT:
Burial: October 21, 1874, Glengary, Canada
Census: 1852, Servant: Mary Leonard
Occupation: See NOTES! Other in home:

Children of HANNAH GRANT and ALPINE GRANT are:
i. CAMPBELL ALEXANDER4 GRANT, d. Abt. 1879, Drowned at Nepean while
fishing at 19 yrs. of age.
ii. MARY GRANT, b. Abt. 1846, Born in the United States according to
census sheet of 1851.

Notes for MARY GRANT:
The two sisters out west were A.P.'s sisters Bee and Mary. That is a
grand saga--The story of
Bee and Mary and the Marvin Shoe Company. Alison promisies to send file
on this and we can't
wait! :-)

More About MARY GRANT:
Residence: Resided out West with her sister "Bee"

4. iii. ALLAN PETER GRANT (FADDIE), b. May 24, 1848, Jessie's Bible
dates birth: 1848, Canada,
Brockville Ontario: Eng. ? NA (WA) Proviso Twp.; d. May 09, 1922, Died
in Asheville NC:
Residing in 1900 census in River Forest:
First Job was at Bremners Bakery, During the Chicago Fire.
iv. JENNIE MARGARET GRANT AKA JANET, JESSIE, JANETTE, b. Abt. 1853,
Ontario, Canada; d. March
17, 1890, Abt. 31 (or 37) yrs. old when she died. Presbyterian #2810.

More About JENNIE MARGARET GRANT AKA JANET, JESSIE, JANETTE:
Burial: Died from Influenza Rheumatism 9 weeks, Drs. A. P. Wright and
Church: Informant:
John C. Gordon (Coroner?) April 08, 1890

v. ANNIE F. GRANT (WAS THIS "BEE")?, b. Abt. 1869, 81 yrs. old
according to cemetary
"records"; d. October 24,
1950.

1. LEWIS1 GRANT He married (1) ELIZABETH MCDONELL, daughter of
ALEXANDER MCDONELL and
CATHERIN FRASER. She was born in Christening: Boleskine, Inverness,
Scotland May 04, 1777.
He married (2) ELIZABETH MCDONELL. He
married (3) ANN MCDONELL.

Notes for LEWIS GRANT:
According to a note from Alison, it seems that the IGI had an addendum
that gave the name Anne
Macdonald. She traced it to its source and found out that a pious lady
who wanted to make sure
everyone got to heaven had wholesaled
every Grant family in a certain parish in Scotland and claimed them as
relatives. Because
Lewis Grant and Anne Macdonald had had a son four years earlier, she
assumed that Anne was the
mother. What she didn't know was that
Lewis apparently had two wives, and Isabella was born just two years
before the child he had
with Elizabeth Mcdonell. I don't know which was the mother, but think
it more likely that it
was Elizabeth.

More About ELIZABETH MCDONELL:
Christening: May 04, 1777, Boleskine, Inverness, Scotland
Child of LEWIS GRANT and ELIZABETH MCDONELL is:
2. i. ISOBELLA2 GRANT, b. October 05, 1798, Invernsesshire, Parish of
Boleskine, Scotland; d.
January 06, 1889, Lancaster (?) Glengarry, Ontario, Canada, 91 yrs. old.

Generation No. 2

2. ISOBELLA2 GRANT (LEWIS1) was born October 05, 1798 in
Invernsesshire, Parish of Boleskine,
Scotland, and died January 06, 1889 in Lancaster (?) Glengarry, Ontario,
Canada, 91 yrs. old.
She married PETER GRANT 1822 in
Glenmoriston, Scotland, son of FINLAY GRANT and MARGARET CAMERON. He

Bonnie Grant wrote:

> Eleanor
>
> Where are the two Grant family's from that you have all this
information??
> Yes I would love to see the picture you have of this Villainous
Ludovick Grant

This thread: