GLINES-L Archives

Archiver > GLINES > 1999-09 > 0938626392-01

From: "Dave Schubert" <>
Subject: [GLINES-L] Susanah Abigail GLINES
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:33:12 -0400

GLINES cousins:

I have still not learned anything positive regarding my GLINES ancestor.
Here is a 3 generation report with my 'documentation', which falls short
of confirming where I fit into this family.

Ancestors of (Susanah) Abigail GLINES - 29 Sep 1999
-----

FIRST GENERATION

1. (Susanah) Abigail GLINES1 was born on 30 May 1807 in Butler Co.,
OH.2,3,4,5,6 She died on 29 May 1850 in Hamilton, Butler Co., OH.7 She
was buried on 31 May 1850 in Hamilton, Butler Co., OH at Greenwood
Cemetery.8 She was sealed to parents on 8 Mar 1985. IGI 1988, batch
8394101 04 Source call number 1395730 film She has Ancestral File number
RVR8-4Q. Susanah Glines Woods was born in Butler county, Ohio on 30 May
1807. Her father was Isaac Glines and mother was Phoebe Gannet. LDS
records, Film #1395730. "She was of a Revolutionary Family", according to
records in Butler Co., OH.

(Susanah) Abigail GLINES was married to Doctor Samuel WOODS on 11 Aug
1825 in Butler Co., OH. IGI 1988, batch 8394101 04 Source call number
1395730 film, ceremony by Rev. David Mcdill, Butler Co. 11Aug1825.
Doctor Samuel WOODS was born on 26 Nov 1796 in Maysville, Mason Co., KY.
He was educated learned Latin in 1817 in Hamilton, Butler Co., OH. He
was a medical doctor between 1817 and 1843 in Ohio. He resided in 1825
in Rossville, Butler Co., OH. Samuel owned lot 19 Rossville according to
the plot of 1804. He resided in 1830 in Oxford, Butler Co., OH. In
Oxford he owned lot 58 and four acres which was part of lot 3 in section
30 township 5 range 1. He resided in 1844 in Vernon, Jennings Co., IN.
He resided on 15 Oct 1844 in Brewersville, Jennings Co., IN. The brick
home located in Brewersville Indiana still is in good repair and constant
use. It contained 95 acres and is recorded on Deed Record J page 69 for
Oct. 15, 1844. He died on 1 Dec 1856 in Hamilton, Butler Co., OH. The
date of 12/1/1856 is calculated from the buriel date of 12/4/1856 from
cemetery records. This refutes the date of 1848 given by Dr. Roy Cleo
Woods in his book and also answers a mystery about the date of birth for
the last child in the family. He was buried on 4 Dec 1856 in Hamilton,
Butler Co., OH at Greenwood Cemetery. He has Ancestral File number RVR8-
3K. Samuels birth in Nov 1796 was registered as the family traveled the
river emmigrating to Ohio from Pennsylvania.

SECOND GENERATION

2. Isaac GLINES Sr. was born about 1766 in Northfield, Merrimack Co.,
NH.9 He resided in 1812 in Preble Co., OH. Name found in library for
being in Preble Co. Ohio in 1812. He was living in 1820 in Milford Twp.,
Butler Co., OH.10 He was living in 1830 in Milford Twp., Butler Co.,
OH.11 He was living in 1850 in Randolph Co., IN.12 He died after 1850.
He has Ancestral File number RVQR-9K. page 100- "Isaac owned land in
section 11 Milford Township, Butler County, Ohio, and appears to have
been quite prosperous. A study of the records in New Hampshire indicates
that Glines were prominant and apparently descended from a common source.

James Otis Lyford in his History of the Town of Canterbury, New
Hampshire, 1727-1912 and published by the Rumford Press in Concord
(N.H.), states on p.162 ff that 'among the early landowners and settlers
of Canterbury were William Glines, Jr., and John Glines. Whether they
were brothers or not in anyway related is not known'. (A study or record
and names seems to indicate relationship. The family of John is accounted
for in this History and could not have been the progenitor of Isaac.
William's family is fragmentary indicating possibility that it moved
further inland. He could have been the ancestor of Isaac. R.C.W.) The
Provincial Registry of Deeds show that ... William (was in Canterbury as
early as) 1761 (Vol. XVII p. 294) A William Glines, Jr., of Dover was one
of the Proprietors and drew lot no. 84 which was sold in 1731 to Samuel
Adams of Dover (Vol. XVIII p.212). A Will Glines, Jr., was elected
tithing man of Canterbury in 1750 and Constable in 1752. In 1731 William
Glines, Sr. and William Glines, Jr. sold land in Dover (Vol. XVIII p.
133). 20 Sept., 1725, William and Elizabeth Glines conveyed land in
Dover, "Lying between Oyster River and Lampreel River" (Vol. XX p. 447).
He was married to Phebe GANNET on 5 Mar 1793 in Eaton Center, Carroll
Co., NH.13

3. Phebe GANNET was born between 1766 and 1785 in Vermont.14 She has
Ancestral File number RVQR-BQ.

THIRD GENERATION

4. Thomas GLINES was born between 1728 and 1730 in Wales. He was a sea
captain about 1760 in England.15 He died between 1776 and 1818. "an old
English sea captain, named Thomas." and was "born in Wales". - THE WOODS
FAMILY, pp.100. There was also a Thomas Glines who died at the battle of
Tippacanoe under General Harrision.

Prepared by:
David Schubert
PO Box 451
Pomona NJ 08240 USA
Most names/dates not formally documented

SOURCES

1. Roy Cleo Woods. "The History of the Woods Family with a genealogy of
Alexander Woods and his desendants Some attention is given to the history
of the families into which they married by Roy Cleo Woods, Ph.D,
Professor of Education, Marshall College, Huntington, West Virginia".
Edwards Brothers, Inc. Ann Arbor, MI, 1936. page 202.
2. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.. LDS Church database.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
RVR8-4Q.
3. Church of Jesus Christ, Latter Day Saits. International Genealogical
Index. 1903587.
4. Ibid. IGI 1988, batch 8394101 04 Source call number 1395730 film.
5. Ibid. Film 442787 page 47 ord 72662.
6. Roy Cleo Woods. "The History of the Woods Family with a genealogy of
Alexander Woods and his desendants Some attention is given to the history
of the families into which they married by Roy Cleo Woods, Ph.D,
Professor of Education, Marshall College, Huntington, West Virginia".
Edwards Brothers, Inc. Ann Arbor, MI, 1936. page 202.
7. Ibid. page 202.
8. Greenwood Cemetery, Hamilton, Butler, OH. Collected by Joyce Cates,
Board of Trustees, Greenwood Cemetery. "Mrs. Samuel Woods: interred
05/31/1850 in Orig 134; kin Dr. Samuel Woods".
9. Church of Jesus Christ, Latter Day Saits. International Genealogical
Index. Film #183552 page 423 ord 14726.
10. 1820 Butler Co. Ohio.
11. Ibid.
12. Ibid. 1850 Randolph Co. Indiana.
13. Church of Jesus Christ, Latter Day Saits. International
Genealogical Index. 820074 batch 720072366.
14. Ibid. 1760908.
15. Roy Cleo Woods. "The History of the Woods Family with a genealogy
of Alexander Woods and his desendants Some attention is given to the
history of the families into which they married by Roy Cleo Woods, Ph.D,
Professor of Education, Marshall College, Huntington, West Virginia".
Edwards Brothers, Inc. Ann Arbor, MI, 1936. page 100.