GILLESPIE-L Archives

Archiver > GILLESPIE > 1999-07 > 0932230899

From: <>
Subject: [GILLESPIE-L] Robert Addison GILLESPIE
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:01:39 EDT

To Rick
>From Helen Austin

Again, you asked about the Robert Addison GILLESPIE, a son of Robert
GILLESPIE of Somerville, Morgan Co, AL who was earlier from Blount Co. Tn and
was a son of William GILLESPIE of Louisville, TN, a son of James and Jennet,
immigrants from Scotland and Ulster to America about 1840.

You must have seen the probate records which I sent to the Gillespie List
this week. the son of Robert is named in those papers as Robert A.

So, perhaps he is not the same individual as the Richard Addison Gillespie
who you say went to TX.

I do not know the source for saying that the Robert A. from Morgan Co, AL
went to TX except it was from the earlier transcription of a book called
HISTORIC SOMERVILLE, by Whitehorn, which I sent to the list. It went like
this.

Robert Gillespie m Betsie Houston, dau of Maj. James Houston, of Blount Co,TN
children: 1) Esther m M.C. Houston
2) Capt. William Finley Gillespie
3) Rev. James Houston Gillespie (c 1804-after 1881) m 28 Oct 1830 in
Philadelphia to Abbie C. Ellis, had 5 ch then moved to
Florence 4 years, 1843 to Denmark, TN, then Brownsville, TN.
4) Martha Louise, 2nd wife of M. C. Houston

Robert then married Patsie Houston (second cousin of Betsie) dau of John
Houston of Pistol Branch, TN, and had 6 ch.
1) Betsie Ann
2) John L.
3) John Newton
****4) Capt Robert Addison Gillespie (12 Jun 1815 Blount Co, TN-d 22 Sep
1846) He moved to AL 1831 in Somerville, then to New Orleans, then
1834 to TX, in Mexican war, bur San Antonio TX Mar 1847
[[ Helen: THIS IS THE PART IN QUESTION. Whitehorn could have taken this
from the JOHN KNOX, HISTORY OF MORGAN CO, AL. I will check and see. Someone
40 years ago might have made an assumption that this R. ADDISON GILLESPIE was
t he one who went to TX. ]]
5) Matthew Milton Gillespie d ca 1842 Fayette Co, TX
6) Mary Elizabeth
Wife 3 of Robert was Mary King, a dau of Rev. Richard King. They had a dau.
Mary who died young.

[[note from Helen: Robert also had other young chidren named in estate paper
who were born after 1797, named Joseph (b abt 1805), Sally, Nancy, Andrew. ]]

I do not know where these early authors got their data. I do not know what
else to say about R. Addison Gillespie, except that this one was born before
after 1797, was a minor when his father died and his guardian was, John
Houston of Blount Co, TN. John Houston was also the guardian of Matthew
Milton Gillespie brother of Robert A.

I will keep on checking to see what is known about the Robert Addison
Gillespie, son of Robert who must have been living in Blount Co. after 1821
with John Houston. At least until 1831, if the book, Historic Somerville is
correct.

Do you have any source cited for a residence in New Orleans, between 1831 and
1834 for R. Addison Gillespie?

This thread: