GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1156205343

From: "Aida Kraus" <>
Subject: Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Morgenroth? Is it this?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:09:03 -0700

Ah Randy, this is precious that you remember the phonetic words. And I will
put it in good German for everyone to read:
Dropping the spoon: "Der Löffel - der Mann"
Dropping the fork: "Die Gabel - die Frau"
Dropping the knife: "Das Messer - das Mädchen".... look, who would be coming
to your house if you let it fall!
Actually it was an association in learning genders of German
Grammar. She might have handed on to you what she learned at school. "Der"
Löffel is equal to "Der Mann" and therefore you have a word of the masculine
gender. "Die" Gabel - "Die Frau" and here you have a word of the feminine
gender. "Das Messer" - "Das (kleine - little) Mädchen" and here you have
the "Neutral" gender.
Der-die-das stands for the very sexless first article "The" in
English! Now how about that? Our old folks had a way to make "learning
fun".... and indeed, much more was absorbed by our "little folks" that way.
Aida