GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1156195624

From: "Frank Soural" <>
Subject: RE: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Spinne(n) am Morgen
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:27:04 -0400

Here is another:
Morgenroth ist des Reiters frueher Tod.
or it could have been "Abendroth"

FGS

-----Original Message-----
From: [mailto:]
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 5:16 PM

I don't know if this comes under the heading of Superstition but does
someone know the German and English words for the song or poem "Morgen Rot"?
My mother passed on to me one of the few tid-bits she knew of her father (he
died when mother was 15 months old).
Her father sang "Morgen Rot" as he worked in the fields with the family.
Mother was put in a cradle under a shade tree.

Bob Paulson

From: "Aida Kraus" <>
> And that is what we are after, Addi, Aberglaube - Superstition! May I ask

> where you are from? I believe there is a difference of this between
areas.
> But then, one makes as much sense as the other. Spiders were good animals

> in the Bible stories, but so was the woman who spinned and sang. The
> phonetic was definitely "Spinne am Morgen" not "spinnen am Morgen", but
then
> Spinnen with a capital S is also the plural of Spinne singular. So who is

> to guess....
> Aida
>
> PS: VERY nice article in Wikipedia on this, thanks! - Dankeschoen!

<http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Spinne_am_Morgen&action=edit&sect
ion=