GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1156186020

From: "Aida Kraus" <>
Subject: Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Superstitions
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:47:00 -0700

You never cease to learn. The word "spinnen" is actually the verb "to spin"
but a "Spinne" in German is a spider. The superstition was that if you SAW
a spider in the morning that meant sorrows, but seeing a spider at noon,
there would be luck waiting for you on the third day, and if you saw a
spider in the evening (bringt Glueck und Gaben) meaning that there would be
gifts and good luck waiting for you. But "spinnen am Abend" that certainly
refers to the activity of spinning and rhymes with "erquickend und labend"
"(reviving and refreshing) which are two words that would not likely be used
in Bohemian German at all, but seems to stem from a North German source.
Hmmmmm! Thank you so much Udo for a new interesting "spin!"
Pun intended!
Aida