GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1156177962

From: "Aida Kraus" <>
Subject: Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Bohemian Superstitions/stories - Buxtehude
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:32:42 -0700

The verse is:
"Hoppe hoppe Reiter
wenn er fällt dann schreit er,
fällt er in den Graben
fressen ihn die Raben,
fällt er in den Sumpf
macht der Reiter "Plumps" (that is when you fall off the legs...)
Translation:
Hopp hopp Ridersman
when he falls, he shouts,
when he falls into a ditch
the ravens will eat him.
If he falls into the moors (wetlands)
the rider goes "Kaplunk"...

I am sure that EVERYONE growing up in our ethnic families will remember
THAT!
In re: Buxtehude; it was just because of the funny name and it was far far
far away from Bohemia. Actually it had the same meaning as "to get lost"
here in America.

Aida