GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1156176366

From: "Robert J Pritzl" <>
Subject: Bohemian Superstitions/stories - Buxtehude
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:06:06 -0400

Aida & list,

English translation: " Too soon old, too late smart"

My father, born in 1906 was a third generation Pritzl in the USA who
spoke Bayerisch. Obviously their were other Bayerisch speaking
emigrants there as they would slide into it in my grandpa's hardware
store which was in a small city in central Wisconsin.
I don't recall whether Mel Laird (Ex Secretary of Defense) was
Bohemian, but he was from my hometown and used to speak Bayerisch in
the store.

When we children were misbehaving, my grandfather would say
"you're going to end up in Buxtehude" or "I will send you to
Buxtehude". He had gotten the saying from his father who immigrated
from Hirschau (Hyrsov) Bohemia in the 1870's.

I had never realized that Buxtehude was a city in Northern Germany
until about 20 years ago. What was so bad about Buxtehude????

I also remember my grandfather giving us rides on his ankles while
we were very young. He would sit on the couch, cross his legs at his
ankles hold on to our hands and then we would sit on his ankles which
he would move up and down until the end of the poem when he would
uncross his legs and we would plop on the floor.

I have the verse somewhere with an English translation, which
roughly tells of a horse rider, riding through the forest or on a lane
and at the end falls off the horse.

"Humpa, Humpa, (or something like that) goes the rider.........

Bob Pritzl

If anyone is interested, I should be able to locate the verse
somewhere.

This thread: