GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1156118933

From: "Aida Kraus" <>
Subject: Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Superstitions
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:08:53 -0700

Thank you Herb - that's it exactly! Sehr gut! You know, we are still
cutting the Christmas apple in our family, but I am a terrible cheat not
wanting to lose one single member of my clan! So knowing that you mostly
make or break your luck yourself, I twist the knife sideways before it cuts
the seeds while the apple breaks apart! Hahaha! How long have you been in
Canada? Were you born here? I would really like to know how much our
grandmothers told their offsprings born here! I got a real kick out of some
of the Erzgebirge-superstitions. Listen to this: "If a newly married
couple, as they come out of the church, take a look into the distance and
they see a woman, their first baby will be a girl and if they see a man,
well you can figure that out quickly enough." And this is even funnier:
"You have to shout into the open kitchen-stove door when you move from one
house to another, so that the hearth will know you, and then your family
will be lucky!" Some families all shouted into the kitchen stove, one after
another, just to be safe!
This is going to be a nice collection!
Aida