GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1156108253

From: "Herbert Schwarz" <>
Subject: Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Superstitions
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:10:53 -0400

Hi Aida, yes the Black Cat crossing in front is one I remember. Walking
under a Ladder is an other one.. Then there were the Spiders. - Spine am
Morgen bringt Kummer und Sorgen. Spine am Mittag ,bringt glueck am dritten
Tag. Spine am abend bringt Glueck und Gaben. We had also the Christmas one,
Cutting an Apple to see if you cut one of the Seeds, if so you got lost in
the comming year. The Chimney Sweep,lucky if you saw him, especially on
Christmas Day !! Some people arranged for him to come and visit ,as the
first "Male" on Christmas morning to bring luck in the comming year.Spilling
Salt, bad luck, to compensate you had to trow some over your shoulder.
Broken mirrows, 7 years of bad luck ! Regards Herb Schwarz, Ontario,Canada