GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1156105451

From: "Arlette Drahos" <>
Subject: Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Superstitions
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:24:11 -0400

Hi Aida:
Boy, did you bring back memories!
There are several.. We were from Germany (my parents and grandparents were)
From my grandmother:
If we combed our hair in the car, we were not allowed to toss any loose hair
out of the windows, because if a bird used it to build a nest, we would get
a headache!

From my mother...if there was a spider in house:
Spinne am Morgen....bringt Sorgen
Spinne am Abend... (can't remember what that one was or if there was one)

I know when we left the house for a trip (i.e. vacation) we could not, for
ANYTHING, return to the house. It was bad luck. We would have to go on
without whatever it was. So, we had to go through a whole ritual before
leaving - checking lights, unplugging appliances, everyone going to the
bathroom, etc. lol. To this day, I still do not like to go back even to
retrieve my forgotten cell phone...I have gone to work without it!

I don't know if this was really a superstition or if my mom was just trying
to aggravate me; but, she would always say that if I forgot what I was going
to tell her, it was a lie anyway.

I called my dad, but he says he can't remember anything (he's no help)
However, when I mentioned the above, he says "oh Yea". Stubborn old German,
he is. I'll call my sister too. She remembers different things than I do.

Let us all know what you find out: it should trigger more memories.
Thanks Aida!
Arlette