GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1156103858

From: "Aida Kraus" <>
Subject: Superstitions
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:57:38 -0700

This time, I would like your help! Do you remember certain superstitions your ancestors shared with you? If you do, write them down and send them to me to my Email address below. It is important that they are not of any other origin but Bohemian, Moravian, Czech, German or Slovakian, inclusive the mountain regions of the Boehmerwald, Erzgebirge and Elbesandsteingebirge, Adlergebirge, Riesengebirge, the Tatra and others. There were many caves with beautiful limestone stalagmites and stalactites that must have left some memories, the most extensive of them is - of course - the Mazocha near Brünn, and there was also a whole net of mine shafts leading to ancient caverns in the mountains where people entering these places must have performed some sort of protective superstition.....I would like to hear about this. But I am not only interested in these alone, write to me what you know of your "family memories" even if it is just as simple as a black cat crossing the road (m!
any turned around when it went from left to right because in German "rechts is Schlechts" (right brings bad things) or whatever you can remember hearing in your Bohemian families. I do not care if you remember the German words or the English equivalent, like "Schäflein zur Linken, muss Glück Dir winken" in English: "Sheep on the left (of the road) will bring you luck!" Let's see how much you remember!
Send them to:

Aida

This thread: