GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1156003356

From: "Edie" <>
Subject: Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] German given names to English names
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 09:02:36 -0700

Thanks so much, Aida.
edie sando

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aida Kraus" <>
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2006 8:12 AM

Gerhard - all prefix spellings stems from the word "Ger" which is a long
javelin of which the German name also stems (Javelin-man). The Germans did
not call themselves "Germans" but Celts, Saxons, Alemannen, Marcomannen,
Boii, Bajuvari, Hermunduren, Suevi, and man, many others. When Romans
encountered all these javelin throwers as soon as they stuck their noses
across the Rhine or the Danube, they called them Germans = the man with the
Ger (javelin). They feared and respected them, and eventually Thoderic
conquered the Romans in the 5th Century. Read the Germanic history at:
http://www.rollintl.com/roll/germanics.htm
The hardt on the end means "kühn" which means "good or able" = and you
can translate this roughly as "good hunter."
We never cease to learn working genealogy because our roots are deep.

A more modern website in German is www.mittgard.de where you can find just
about anything from ancient times, the name of tribes, how they lived, what
they ate, recipes, how they made use of plants, weaving, coloring clothing,
several outlines of history concerning individual Germanic tribes.
Aida