GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1155412521

Subject: Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Cottager
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:55:21 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/2006 9:17:07 AM Mountain Standard Time,
writes:
Cottagers are listed in the Berni Rula, and since only property owners are
listed there, the answer is yes, and so are Häuslers but they did not have a
working farm and most of the time they worked from their homes as weavers,
shoemakers, tailors, in other words in a "service" craft for the village.
While the Berni Rula included only those residents who had enough assets to
pay taxes, assets did not necessarily mean that they were landholders. Some
tradesmen were listed by their trade or business(Handle und Gewerbe). A
Fuhrmann for example may have a house and a barn where he kept his teams of horses
or oxen and his wagons, harnesses, etc. and stored material to be transported.
The livestock and equipment would count as assets as would his house.
Other businessmen had assets that fit their business (a Baker, Tailor, Shoemaker,
Miller) but they did not necessarily have any significant amount of land.

I believe that a Hausler was a Cottager. Sudetens refer to Hausler as
another word for Chalupner but older definitions say a Hausler lived in a small,
somewhat poor cottage with virtually no land. There may have been a cow or
goat and / or chickens in a shed attached to the house but livestock would graze
in the village's common meadow and chickens probably roamed more or less free
near the house. Many Hauslers were weavers. Others were farmhands,
servants, casual laborers, men who kept the village streets in good repair or did
other work for the village, shepherds, etc.

I actually did not see any "Hauslers" in the Berni Rula, only Chalupners
(small farmers).

The Berni Rula extracts I have in the Bishofteinetz Heimatbuch shows
Chalupners , Gaetners, Bauern, Neuseidler, Abgerbrannt (burned out) and a designation
(Völlkug :Od -V) that meant verlassen Anwesen, and "benachbarten Landwirten:
(BL). These designations are in a German translation of the original Czech in
the Berni Ruly, page 83 of the Bishofteinetz Heimatbuch.

I don't understand the designation (V) for deserted propery. Why such
properties would be in the tax rolls if there was no "Besitzer" to pay the taxes is
beyond me unless it was a nobleman's way of accounting for properties that
were vacant.

A Chalupner is variously defined as a "small farmer" with somewhat poor
buildings or a Hausler by the Sudetens. I am not certain that Hausler was an
official Austrian substitute for a Chalupner..

My great grandmother's father was a mason from the Egerland (not a Meister,
though) and he is called a Hausler in the church records. There may have been
a small garden behind the house but it was not large enough to qualify them
for the "Gaertner" designation. A Master mason probably had a good income but
journeymen masons often ended up in the army because they were relatively
poor.

The Bishofteinetz book saiys that 5 Chalupners in the Herrschaft had 9
Strich, I had 6 Strich, and one had 3 Strich.

One Sritch is said to be about 2877 square meters. There are 10,000 square
meters in a Hectare (so I would guess that it takes 3.475 Stritch to make a
Hectare. One Hectare is 2.471 Acres so one acre appears to be a little smaller
than a Strich.

Lightning hitting very close -- have to shut down my PC for a while.

Karen

This thread: