GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1154551080

Subject: Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Nixdorf to Frankenhausen before 1814
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 16:38:00 EDT

In a message dated 8/2/2006 2:05:04 PM Mountain Standard Time,
writes:
I too have wondered why my gggrandfather Jacob Anton PITSCHMANN/PIETSCHMANN,
born in Thomasdörf by Nixdorf in 1783 emigrated to Frankenhausen,
Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt where he married in 1814.

The wars with France started in 1793. He was probably draft agein 1800 (17
years). If he emigrated during the war it may have been to stay one step
ahead of the recruiters. He may have left Bohmemia without travel documents and
just showed up in Germany.

Or maybe he actually served in the army but was injured or otherwise became
unfit for duty. If he was unfit either before or after service he could have
gotten a passport to leave for Germany.

If he married in Germany in 1814 and lived in Baden-Wurttemberg, his family
had to survive the terrible famine of 1816-1818 there. I don't know how bad
the famine and economic depression following the victory over Napoleon was
north of Wurttemberg or in Bavaria. Read about it in a book by an author named
Post: The Last Great Subsistence Crisis.

Karen

This thread: