GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-08 > 1154473227

From: "Aida Kraus" <>
Subject: Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Kasejovice
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 16:00:27 -0700

The word you misread or was misspelled "burgess" is probably Burger,
meaning that he had the status of a burgher, which is a freeman living in a
town. Towns were rarely under the auspices of a noble, in fact there were
many very rich towns buying property, land or forest from nobles who found
themselves in financial difficulties. The towns were just as obligated to
the crown to furnish material (like horses, quartermaster supplies, or maybe
a whole area for a garnison) just like the nobles and the city fathers were
able to increase their towns by acquiring more land. The city dwellers were
taxed, but since most of the cities had moats, were guarded and had several
town-gates where traders or travelers had to pay a toll-fe upon entering and
again a fee for selling their wares, the city actually had an income.
Burghers were freemen, not obligated to the nobility and dealt with barons
and knights on equal level. The "higher" nobility started with Earl- and
Dukedoms and these were ruling and royal houses.
The Czech Royal family were the Premyslides where a Polish princess
married a Czech farmer, the Polish were the Jagellones, but the elevated
nobility, like all Emperors were usually of either French or German
nobility, like the Hohenstaufens, Wittelsbacher, Habsburgs and the Anjous
(Capet). Their ruling seats were Paris, Aachen, Vienna, Nuremberg and
Prague.
Your ancestor, who was a Burgher, was certainly a property owner in
that town, as persons became burghers only if they owned property there.
In this case, they were also able to apply for a Master's title at their
guild (Master titles were never given to Journeymen of their craft if they
did not own property from where they could operate their trades.) In your
ancestors case, he was a furrier, meaning that he was dealing in furs or
making fur coats. He certainly was not a tanner, but a craftsman who dealt
with tanned pelts. It was a very noble profession!
Aida