GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2012-03 > 1331067695

From: Gary Martens <>
Subject: Re: [GV] JEWISH emigrants to Russia ?
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 15:01:35 -0600

>From Fred Koch's book "The Volga Germans - in Russia and the Americas", one
of Katherine the Greats first measures was to undertake a plan to populate
her lower Volga frontier with dependable, permanent settlers who would no
only bring stability to this lawless, undeveloped, and uncharted region,
but also reclaim the vast wasteland.

Twenty-one days after coronation in 1762, she addressed the Senate
authorizing this advisory body to admit into the country all persons who
wanted to settle in Russia - except Jews.

Gary Martens