GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2008-09 > 1222119575

From: William Pickelhaupt <>
Subject: Re: [GV] GER-VOLGA Digest, Vol 3, Issue 382
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 14:39:35 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <mailman.19.1222066802.23901.ger-volga@rootsweb.com>

Vera,

I am in Salt Lake City now. The Russian specialist here, Margaretha Choquette, has helped me locate the microfilms for the 1850 and 1858 census for Samara Nikolajevsk, which should include Kind/Baskakovka. They should be in from the vault tomorrow.

It sounds like the 1907 Samara business CD would not include farmers. I'm not positive my great-grandfather was a farmer in 1907. He was in the army in 1904-05, then left for the U.S. in 1912. Unlike most emigrants from Kind and Susannental, he came to work on a horsefarm, rather than work in the sugar beet fields of McGregor, MI.

Bill Pickelhaupt

--- On Mon, 9/22/08, <> wrote:

From: <>
Subject: GER-VOLGA Digest, Vol 3, Issue 382
Date: Monday, September 22, 2008, 7:00 AM

Today's Topics:

1. LDS samara dafabase (Vera Beljakova)
2. Re: Schenk from Dobrinka LOST (Brent Mai)
3. video Germans in Siberia (Vera Beljakova)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:04:00 +0200
From: "Vera Beljakova" <>
Subject: [GV] LDS samara dafabase
To: "" <>
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain;charset="utf-8"

Der Bill,
If you give me the LDS urls and passwords (if any), I am happy to
?enter the site, read it and let you know.
I once came across am internet Samara database, but it was the the nobility,
but contained a large amount of German surnames (not all Germans in Russia
were automatically small farming village colonists).?
Samara would also have had its
own "yellow pages" directory of (freehold not communal) property
owners, house owners,
business, etc., among which are listed the GR colonists who had broken away
from the village commune and bought own their own landed estates.

If you contact Steve Schreiber (on this List, owns a GR Portland website)
or the Portland Univ (via?Brent Mai) you will also find a Samara GR business
website for 1907 (which I translated and foreworded).? It's on CD, costs
$20 and?
proceeds go to GR-Portland community (not to me).

Kind regards,
Vera Beljakova-Miller ?

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:44:12 -0700
From: "Brent Mai" <>
Subject: Re: [GV] Schenk from Dobrinka LOST
To: "Peter Aifeld" <>,
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain;charset="iso-8859-1"

Mr. Aifeld:
This Georg Christian Schenk is on the 1857 Census, Line 1133 (Household #84).
He's probably on the 1850 census as well (in Household #76). However, the
copies from which I made my translations were missing Household #76 in 1850
(where Schenk would have been based upon his entry in both the 1834 census and
the 1857 census). I question whether he is indeed your ancestor as he is not
listed in either 1834 or 1857 as having any children??
.....................Brent.....................

________________________________

From: on behalf of Peter Aifeld
Sent: Sat 20-Sep-08 12:11 AM
Subject: [GV] Schenk from Dobrinka LOST

Hello,

my ancestors with the surname Schenk came to Dobrinka and lived there until the
beginning of the 19th century. Then I loose the steps of my ancestor Georg
Christian Schenk (b.1812 in Dobrinka) and only in 1860 my great great
grandfather Christian Schenk was born in Dobrinka.

Question to all wo have some censuses of other villages for 1850,1857. Please
look up if there is any Georg Christian Schenk living in your village.

Thank you very much.

Peter A.

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
quotes in the subject and the body of the message

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 01:39:34 +0200
From: "Vera Beljakova" <>
Subject: [GV] video Germans in Siberia
To: "" <>
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain;charset="utf-8"

?Hello Angela,

I looked at the video on YouTube as you recommended, and the language
spoken was Plattdeutsch/Low German, which is also not understandable to
ordinary Germans whose lingua franca now is High German, hence the
subtitles in the uniformaly accepted "Hochdeutsch".
I understood?that the original Altai GR colonists came from the Ukraine,
but were later joined by other GRs from other?parts of Russia.

Regards,
Vera Beljakova-Miller??

------------------------------

To contact the GER-VOLGA list administrator, send an email to

To post a message to the GER-VOLGA mailing list, send an email to

__________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to

with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the
body of the
email with no additional text.

End of GER-VOLGA Digest, Vol 3, Issue 382