GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2008-09 > 1221912344

From: hugh lichtenwald <>
Subject: [GV] Die Welt-Post, July 20, 1922 (Eckheim)
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 05:05:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hallo List, Ruth, Marilyn, Dennis, Bill and both Susans:

The following is translated to the best of my ability.

                                              --------------------------

Page 5, Die Welt-Post, Thursday, July 20, 1922

>From Eckheim

  Today is the 28th of April. It is not as beautiful a day as one could perhaps wish it was, it is very windy and raw, but it is nevertheless beautiful because if one looks out over the Steppe one's heart becomes so full that one forgets all emergency. Everything is green like a green cloth. Green comes with power out of the earth and the livestock have their fodder. The color of hope is green.
  We hope for a good year. All signs say it must be a good year. The old people maintain that this spring is like that of 1881. I can still remember from my childhood that one could, at that time, keep mowing hay right into the inside yards. Mowing season is certainly not upon us, not yet, but if thw weather stays as it is now and everything keeps growing like it has been, then it can become like it was in 1881.
  I said above "We hope," yes, we hope God may take His punishing hand from us and bless us with a good harvest. April has so far been very wet and mostly raw, one dare not yet put away one's warm clothes; we have had only a few days of beautiful warm weather, yet everything has grown so beautifully. The people are much livelier despite the large emergency. They work industriously to put their fields in order. Nearly everyone is working on their land, the one plows, the other one who has no livestock, hoes or digs up a little land. Everyone will sow, even if it is only a little bit. For seeds: Wheat, Oats, Barley, Millet and Sunflowers that the government has sent. The broken agricultural economy should, in any case,  again rise up and be restored. Also Rye was plentifully sown in the fall of 1921, which seed the government likewise provided. We will also receive Potatos for planting. What is of concern are the vegetables because now they have become
more important to us than in former times; because, should the Wheat and Rye not turn out, then one can live on vegetables and need not starve.
  I said above, the people look livelier; now the cause is not only the hope of a good year, but also the food which America sends to us, which helps us out more and more. Today we received for 205 Pud of Welschkorn for 507 souls, approximately 15 Pfund per soul; this is for a half-month and so far we are told we will receive the same amount each half-month per soul. The children, 504 in number, are fed in the "Kitchen" of the National Lutheran Council once daily. We also receive many monthly food packages from the Lutheran Council for the entire village. Our government also helps with as much as it can, so that the remaining 449 souls (we have 1500 souls) each get something each month. In addition we have been repeatedly assured that once the railway is finished transporting seed we will receive even more food, even wheat, so that nobody need go hungry any more.
  Oh, you dear American citizens, my heart is full of praise and thanks for you all! We would not have believed that your hearts would be this open for us! Yes, we have, it is true, still not received much and could easily be tempted to ask: "What is this" (little bit) "for so many?" But we are grateful in our hearts for the little bit and are even confident that we will also yet receive that which was promised.
  In addition, we owe you great thanks, in that you made no mistake in the choice of representatives that you sent to us: Mr. Beshorner, in whose district we are assigned and who we have come to know personally, is an untiring worker; he is always ready to help with advice and assistance. Approximately a month ago we even had the good fortune to be able to accommodate him as our house guest.
  In closing, cordial thanks to Mr. Adam Mehler, Bazine, Kansas, Mr. Johann Friedrich Heinitz, Lucan City, Colorado, and Mr. August Reinhardt, Bazine, Kansas, Ness county, for the letters that they wrote to schoolteacher Jost. Jost is my son-in-law, we live together; the letters, which he gets from America are as dear to me as they are to him.
  I can still remember Mr. Adam Mehler from my youth, he was at that time the Secretary in Neu Schilling and a good acquaintance of my blessed father Georg Kondrady, Schoolmaster of Aehrenfeld. I will write him a letter soon.
  I have been the Schoolmaster here since the autumn of 1918. My younger brother, Theodor, has been the Secretary of the Soviet here for a month now.
  I have sent a letter to Mr. Heinitz, which hopefully, he has received. We will also write to Mr. A. Reinhardt.
  With heartfelt greetings to all dear friends and acquaintances in America,

                                Faithfully,

                                Schoolmaster Karl Kondrady

Teacher Jost and Secretary Theodor Kondrady also send their cordial greetings.

Hugh Lichtenwald, from the farm in Monetta, SC
VC Wiesenmueller

This thread: