GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2008-09 > 1221842793

From: hugh lichtenwald <>
Subject: [GV] Die Welt-Post, July 20, 1922 (Anton)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:46:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hallo List, both Susans, Marilyn, Ruth, Bill and Dennis:

The following article is translated to the best of my ability.

                                                          ------------------

Page 5, Die Welt-Post, Thursday, July 20, 1922

Written Thanks from Anton, Russia

Anton, Gouv. Saratow, Russia, June 5, 1922.--
Dear brothers-in-Christ in Lincoln:
  Far over the ocean waves, at the far edge of europe, from the tiny village of Anton comes a cry to you, dear fellow villagers, from three of your brohers in the old country, Karl Paul, Friedrich Hardt and Andreas Pauli, of deeply heartfelt thanks for the many things that you did for us personally, valued brothers, and your fellow citizens in America.
  A hard punishment fell upon all of German blood here on the banks of the wide Volga with the failure of last year's harvest. Most looked sadly and hopelessly into the dark future of an empty year of failure. Already this summer death had snatched away his prey in large numbers, in the fall he began his work anew and we all thought we we were going to starve to death. In most hearts those most valued words of comfort: "and if hope of a last anchor fails, --- do not forget mine," had died. Every day one heard of the work of our fellow brethren in America, but lack of faith led us into despair.
  Finally however, we had to believe, because your gentle hand opened unto our children. Beaten and crushed by hunger and the emergency, with every feeding they became more cheerful, more alive. The broken and beaten hearts of parents looked upon their children with pleasure but thought to themselves: "Live and grow through the joy and suffering of the future---my heart however, will have to fall asleep in the arms of hunger." And many did fall asleep, but with their last breaths they nevertheless saw the promise of that love-rich, far away country.
  The storm of winter blustered, the frost rattled on the window panes, hunger gnawed on its prey and "the hope of a last anchor" seemed to be broken. Then one evening Pstor Wagner came from Lincoln and brought the message of assistance to the despairing and we received the first gift from you, dear brothers, Flour, Grits and Lard, and the blood that was nearly asleep began to boil again.
  Then came the news of the arrival of the Welschkorn (____grain?) which could however, because of local conditions, only be brought here at the beginning of May. Then the second Party arrived and immediately after there came again a large gift consisting of Flour, Grits, Cocoa, Sugar, Milk, Lard, Rice and Beans.
  The Welschkorn arrives regularly and the people are regaining their strength and again look to the future with hope and count themselves saved from death. And we three, your brothers, taken by your kind deeds and by your wondrous rescue, like a convalescent saved from illness, send you dear brothers-in-Christ and that free, love-rich country of America, our grateful thanks and best wishes, from us who were saved by your gifts!

                                       Karl Paul, Friedrich Hardt and Andreas Pauli

Hugh Lichtenwald, from the farm in Monetta, SC
VC Wiesenmueller

This thread: