GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2008-09 > 1221594325

From: Susan Freier <>
Subject: Re: [GV] GER-VOLGA Digest, Vol 3, Issue 372 "Mr. Hugh Lichtenwald"
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:45:25 -0600

Dear Mr. Lichtenwald,

I, sincerely, THANK YOU, for sending me your translations in a personal
e-mail! They DO come into my e-mail program without all of the
???????????? and ? ? ?. I will still look into the different options
on my e-mail programs, as suggested, to see if I can get the GER-VOLGA
Digest to come in with out them, but I really appreciate you taking the
extra time to send it to me. My Grandmother was born in Russia,
somewhere along the Volga (I have yet to discover where). Her parents
came to America between 1903 and 1905, but there must have been some
hard times before then, as well. My Grandmother would not talk about
any of it, to her own children, let alone her grandchildren. Just
before she passed away in 1986, she made her children promise to put in
her Obituary, that she had been born in Wisconsin. So, as I read your
translations, I can understand why my Grandmother would not want to talk
of such things, or worse. It has opened my eyes to a lot of what the
German people endured. With or without all of the ??????? in them. I
never would have understood any type of reasoning my Grandmother had for
not telling her children where in Russia she was born, or what her life
was like over there, etc., without the translations, all of my life.
So, again, I, SINCERELY, THANK YOU!! Susan Freier

wrote:

Today's Topics:

1. Obit, Eva Hoff (Henry L. Schmick)
2. Re: GER-VOLGA Digest, Vol 3, Issue 368 (Don Loose)
3. Die Welt-Post, May 11, 1922 (Schwed, KransyJahr)
(hugh lichtenwald)
4. Die Welt-Post, July 27, 1922 (Grimm, Neu-Doenhof)
(hugh lichtenwald)
5. Die Welt-Post, May 18, 1932 (Kazakstan, Krim, Kutter)
(hugh lichtenwald)
6. Die Welt-Post, June 22, 1922 (Messer) (hugh lichtenwald)

Message: 6