GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2008-09 > 1221226694

From: hugh lichtenwald <>
Subject: [GV] Die Welt-Post, June 22, 1922 (Schoenfeld)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 06:38:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hallo List:

The following article is translated to the best of my ability.

                                                      ----------------------

Page 5, Die Welt-Post, Thursday, June 22, 1922

A Call for Help from the Colony of Schoenfeld

  The letter below, from the Colony of Schoenfeld, was forwarded to us by the Volga German Society in Berlin. It describes the situation of this colony as most dark. Concerning the last food transport which arrived in March at Saratov, only some private shipments from our always helpful countryman Peter Brack, were intended for Schoenfeld. The entire area could not be considered since the means provided by the Society were insufficient to provide meaningful support to all the colonies. This letter also shows how urgent it is for the members of each colony now here in America, to come together in common cause and provide assistance.
                                               ---------------------------

Schoenfeld, the 5th of March 1922
To the Volga German Society and the German Red Cross

  The great joy which came to me and my loved ones yesterday, prompts me to pass on to you, my dear fellow brethren, the message that I took receipt of the food mailed to me from the above mentioned Society by Pastor Peter Brack with the most honorable assistance of the German Red Cross, at the train station in Urbach from Mr. Friedrich d. Fr. Loresch, and I bespeak hereby my most cordial thanks for all the trouble the Society and the Red Cross went to to ensure that I be released, after long suffering, from the hunger which plays such a large role in the daily lives of the people in our region.
  I personally cannot repay this inestimable assistance but I am certain in my confidence and faith that the good Lord will plentifully bless you.
  My dear brethren, although I and my family have been aided with this gift, in this situation of deep emergency, nevertheless my heart still bleeds and my eyes fill with tears when I see the hunger, suffering and misery of the people.
  I and my friend A. B. dared to put together some facts about the emergency which dominates us here and to make ourselves responsible to God to truthfully bring these facts into the light. My dear Sirs, famine lingers with us here in Schoenfeld so that one finds neither dogs nor cats, they have already nearly all been eaten. The Famine has brought us to the point where raw materials, for example; Hides of dead livestock, tanned leather, even such things which, in former times, would not have been fed to a pig. The famine is so great that it couldn't possibly get any larger. We however, standing in its midst and observing with open eyes, see that the famine is yet growing and gradually our entire people, our brethren, are being snatched up by it. On this account we dare to ask that you take this situation to heart and come to our community of Schoenfeld with beneficial aid against it and to finally pull us out of the suffering, i.e., the community of
Schoenfeld.
  We write this letter as servants of the Lord, may it be taken to a place where our plea will bear rich fruit.
  We remain full of hope and grateful for everything good.

                                           Johannes Georgev. Wittig

  All Schoenfelders in America are most earnestly asked to organize a collection for their village members and send the results to the Verein der Wolgadeutschen, Berlin, R.W., Schloss Bellevue in order to purchase food for the colony of Schoenfeld which will then be immediately sent on the next scheduled transport.

                                      Verein der Wolgadeutschen E. B.
                                      Berlin RW. 52, Schloss Bellevue

Hugh Lichtenwald, from the farm in Monetta, SC

This thread: