GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2008-09 > 1220498873

From: Sam Brungardt <>
Subject: Re: [GV] Brunner Origin on the Volga
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 22:27:53 -0500

In Volume 2 of Igor Pleve's compilation, Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet 1764-1767, there is mention of only one Mohrenhäuser family:

In the listing of families from Colony Köhler (Karaul'ny Buerak), on page 383, is the following information:

94. Mohrenhäuser, Johann Georg, 17, kath. aus Fulda.
Waise
Bruder: Melchior, 9
Schwester: Anna Margaretha, 14
leben nach dem Tode des Vaters, Johann Georg Mohrenhäuser, als Lohnarbeiter
in der Kolonie eingetroffen am 21.8.1767

English translation:

94. Mohrenhäuser, Johann Georg, 17, a catholic from Fulda
Orphan
Brother: Melchior, 9
Sister: Anna Margaretha, 14
living since the death of the father, Johann Georg Mohrenhäuser, as a wage laborer
arrived in the colony on 21. August 1767

Köhler, a Catholic colony on the hilly side of the Volga, was founded on 21. August 1767. So the Mohrenhäuser children were some of the founders of Köhler. Köhler was not too far distant from the catholic colony of Göbel (Ust'-Grajazncha). Perhaps this family first settled in Göbel (which was founded on 25. May 1767) and the children moved to Köhler after the father died.

There is no Mohrenhäuser living in Göbel at the time of the revision (census) of that colony on 1. October 1798.

--Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.