GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2008-08 > 1219759135

From: hugh lichtenwald <>
Subject: [GV] Die Welt-Post, March 23, 1922 (Walter)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 06:58:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hallo List:

The following article is translated to the best of my ability.

                                                       ------------------------

Page 5, Die Welt-Post, Thursday, March 23, 1922

>From Walter:
  Our young friend Jacob Giesick in Lincoln recently received a letter from his mother in Walter who has been a widow for three years and lives with her sons: Adam, Konrad, Christian, Theodor and Heinrich. Of these the last two are still single.
  The entire family consists of 18 souls. Pumpkins and Oil cakes make up their food. They write that many American Citizens have sent food to their relatives in Russia and the following is their wish, literally: "If you could visit us with a wagon load of fruit or flour, it would help us."
  At the time of her writing most other villages had food kitchens opened but not yet in Walter.
  Since January 1921 they have lost 12 horses, that they still have 3 remaining. Also they still have 3 cows and 9 sheep. They ask for help.
  The only sister of the Giesick brothers, Mrs. Heinrich Schoessler (son of Andruschka), announces that she is well and also desires and asks for assistance.
  It is also reported that many letters are now arriving from America.

This thread: