GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2008-08 > 1219685060

From: hugh lichtenwald <>
Subject: [GV] Fw: Die Welt-Post, May 11, 1922 (Beideck)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:24:20 -0700 (PDT)

From: hugh lichtenwald <>
Subject: Die Welt-Post, May 11, 1922 (Beideck)
Date: Monday, August 25, 2008, 10:04 AM

Hallo List:

The following article is translated to the best of my ability.

Page 2, Die Welt-Post, Thursday, May 11, 1922

>From Beideck, March 4, 1922
To: Lucas Dreith, Lincoln, Nebraska

Dear friend Lukas:
  I received your letter and see from it the fact that you place my reports in the newspapers. It gives me new heart to report further because one should do everything one can to oblige his friend and brother who is in a foreign land.
  Already many people have come to me asking me to look in different newspapers for information about their relatives. They yearn so much for such information that they are willing to pay for it even though they haven't enough money to mail out a letter. Therefore I ask, dear friend, for your help so that people here can find out something about their relatives. I would have written you more often but I didn't want to burden you. Everything I report to you about the old homeland is based in fact.
  This week Pastor Wagner visited us in the company of Mr. Repp. Repp has been here with me before. They plan on coming more often and if there is something important to report, I will write it to you.
  Today I want to give you the names of those who died in the war that probably will be of interest to the Beideckers. Here follow the names:

Johann Gruenmeier, Georg Fritz, Balthasar Weber, Georg Weber, Johannes Georg, Philipp Ostermiller, Conrad Haerter, Conrad Wuertz, Johannes Haerter, Johann Dreidt, David Gruenewald, Peter Froschheiser, Heinrich Koehler, Heinrich Spomer, Lukas Strauch, Johann Ruetel, Christian Ostermiller, Peter Leikar, Lukas Schneider, Philipp Weber, Johann Strauch, Conrad Roemer, Heinrich Papst, Johannes Georg, Wilhelm Spomer, Philipp Dollberg, Johann Reh, Friedrch Reh, Balthasar Lauck, Lukas Georg, Heinrich Truebelhorn, Conrad Walz, Conrad Mueller, Gustav Froschheiser, Peter Georg, Heinrich Gruenmeier, Peter Georg, Georg Dollberg, Georg Mueller, Johann Wuertz, Johannes Mueller, Johann Mueller, Conrad Mueller, Johanngeorg Georg, Johann Schneider, Johannes Georg, Johannes Schnegelberger, Georg Spomer, Georg Schnegelberger, Christian Wuertz, Heinrich Papst, Alexander Reich, Friedrich Kress, Alexander Miller, Johann Schnegelberger, Johannes Roemer, Johannes Horst, Hugo
Guenther, brother of our Pastor.

  These are all who fell in the war, either died or are missing. Altogether they left behind 68 orphaned children.

  I greet you as a known or unknown village comrade, friend or brother,

                                                Conrad Wuertz

Hugh Lichtenwald, from the farm in Monetta, SC

This thread: