GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2008-08 > 1219615692

From: hugh lichtenwald <>
Subject: [GV] Die Welt-Post, May 11, 1922 (Kutter)
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 15:08:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hallo List:

The following article is translated to the best of my ability.

Page 2, Die Welt-Post, Thursday, May 11, 1922

>From Kutter:

  Adam Kunkel in Kutter wrote to Ludwig Boeckel on February 27th, that father Kunkel died on 21 January 1921, while his mother still lives. They slaughtered 2 horses and have already eaten them. That is their food and Sweetwood Tea is their drink. They have another horse and a sheep remaining. The residents of Kutter, in the week before this letter was written, received 180 Pud of Flour, Rice and Fat which was evenly distributed among the residents, each receiving 5 Pud. They thank you for the gifts and ask for more in order to save them them from death by starvation. Kutter has now altogether half of its earlier resident count.

  To the above Mr. Johannes Lohrey, the fowarder of the letter, adds the following:

  I should have sent the letter to Heinrich Boehm in Almata, Kansas, but because he died in September of 1921, I felt obligated to send the letter to Die Welt-Post because the letter writer had more relatives in America whose addresses are unknown. There is his half-sister, Mrs. Jacob Lohrey, in Hargrave, Kansas, and some others.

        (Ludwig Boeckel in Red Oak, Iowa, sent $10 to them, which the Kunkels friends may take note of)

Hugh Lichtenwald, from the farm in Monetta, SC

This thread: