GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2008-08 > 1219513920

From: hugh lichtenwald <>
Subject: [GV] Die Welt-Post, May 18, 1922 (Jost)
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:52:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hallo List:

The following article is translated to the best of my ability.

                                            -------------------------------

Page 2, Die Welt-Post, Thursday, May 18, 1922

Headline: From the Meadow-side of the Volga

Jost, the 4th of March 1922
To: Heinrich Hoehler, Lincoln, Nebraska

Esteemed nephew (Bruderkind) Heinrich together with your dear family:

  We communicate to you hereby that we are all, through God's grace, healthy and whole-heartedly hope these lines find you in full health.
  Our pen cannot express the joy and emotion with which we write to you because last night, dear friends, we received a summons from Saratov to pick up 3 Basilken (crates or bales?). Myself and your cousin Peter, 2 Basilken, each weighing 6 Pud (216 lbs), and your cousin Johannes, 1 Basilke weighing 6 Pud, and this afternoon we will drive out from here to pick them up. I will take the letter to Saratov and when I get the things I will write a follow-up letter telling you what we received and mail it in Saratov.
  How can we express our thanks? It was as if a person were in his sickbed receiving life saving medicine from a doctor, thus it was with us because everything that could be useful in the way of clothing and tools is worn out.
  The Jost community also received gifts from America, Flour, Fat and Welschkorngrütze (French Groats, peeled grain), in all 240 Pud on the 20th of February. Each soul was given 5 Pfund Flour, 1 Pud 20 Zolotnik Groats, and 1/2 Pfund Fat.-- and now, dear friends, your assistance comes. We thank you a thousand times for your assistance: we cannot thank you enough. But may the promise of our Savior may be fulfilled unto you: "What you have done unto these the least of my brethren, you have done unto me." Yes, dear friends, some Josters have already received Basilke but nobody has received as much as that which you have sent. Again our most heartfelt thanks. The emergency, the hunger, is, after we received your gifts, lessened for us.
  But, you dears, great hunger is all to common. Corpses are carried out daily and their cause of death is hunger.
  Now, dear, valued friends, live well. God be with you! May He bless you for your act of love. With thousands of greetings and a desire for thousands of blessings upon you, we remain your friends,
                                      Peter Hoehler and family.

Postscript: Now we communicate to you that we have received the packages, i.e. 16 Pfund Meat, 22 Pfund Sugar, 6 Pfund Tea, 1 1/2 Pud Rice, 2 Pud 30 Pfund Flour and 40 bottles of Milk. Also we delivered cousin Johannes' portion. Heartfelt thanks for the gift. Live well until we happily meet again!
                                     Peter Hoehler

Hugh Lichtenwald, from the farm in Monetta, SC

This thread: