GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2005-01 > 1105419523

Subject: Type of records archived / details
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:08:51 Africa/Johannesburg

(Hi Patrice,
If you can put this through to the Volga-List:

I think the problem is that different people use different terminologies for the same
item.

Russia followed Europe quite closely.

all records are devided into CHURCH AND CIVIL.

Peter the Great demanded that all/ALL CHURCHES, including Jews and Muslims, start keeping
'proper' church (religious institution) records. Before that clerics kept records as they
saw fit, in any old style that suited them. (Peter wanted to keep track of the population
and started to streamline procedures)

Peter also introduced the revisions/census (civil records for tax reasons and state
service.)

Later, it was deemed that there must be interim civic records,
which I call "Admin Lists", which each parish/precinct had, these were to keep records in
between census times (to keep track of the population) and were kept by the village
secretary. they can also be called in our Gr-sense as "Village Lists" - same thing.

These interim population records are colloquially known as "Family" Lists, because there
is one double-page spread in a bound book per family unit living in one household which is
numbered.

These were filled in, but here it depended on the efficiency of the village
clerk/secretary = some are very efficient and write in masses of details (the new
bride's/wife's maiden surname, from which village she came), some will just note the first
name (no surname, no villge of origin).

Looking at the Family Lists of my own family, I see that my grandfather must have examined
them (prior to 1903), because in his own handwriting (which I know well), I see all sorts
of additons made in pencil by him, mainly adding maiden surnames of the new brides being
brought to the village, with the village of origin.

These cover the usual, birth, marriage, death & "extra comments"

Then, under "comments" column, again, depending on the efficiency of the scribe,e will see
which person has been sent on call-ip/military duty/national service, if he is in the
Reserves, if he has moved to another village, if he has asked asked to leave the village
commune, (that is the precurser to emigrating to USA), if he went on to university
education, etc...

In the "Family Lists" of 1885, one can see a 'additional notes' in various different
handwritings being added to the original info - (in my case) right up to 1903...for others
families it might be later.

All these records were copied/or/and kept in the "Village Admin",
in smaller villages, these would be copied out/or original sent to the "main" village,
which is the same as the "Village District" office, or the "volost'".

The Archives in Engels and Saratov, and all provincial archives, eventually became
repositories of the CHURCH BOOKS/registers ;
the ADMIN / VOLOST' / CIVIL RECORDS. including census/revisions/"Family Lists".

The Admin records section, I personally, find the more interesting because these include
commerce, trading, mills, shops, memoes between the various government departments,
overseers/mayors between the village mayor and the village district (volost') mayor; land
and boundary and grazing on meadowland disputes; court cases, imprisonments, fines,
whippings, theft, divorce, bankrupcy, wills, inheritances, debts, schools, etc. and all
other such civic matters. And these go right back to the Khirgiz/Kalmuck attacks and
Pugachev rebellions.

Admin records for Saratov, eg. include the Diaries of the Chief Judge for 1774, who was
head of the Chancellery of Guardianship for Foreigners, the disputes, petitions and
settlements (I have this book in Russian) between Villagers and their Mayors/overseers +
petitions of villages and/and individual colonists.

So, when you ask the Archives in either Saratov or Engels to do your genealogy (or ask
Pleve), all researchers immediately go to the (a)census or the (B) Family Lists, extract
the detailed info = and ONLY THEN go over to the (c) church books, for more details, such
as date of baptism, godparents, name of church, witnesses, name of priest, etc...

The main thing to remember is that the Archives hold both church and civic records, and
the researchers/archivist will know what is available and what she can consult.

I hope this is slightly clearer.

best wishes

Vera Beljakova-Miller
=================

> Vera,
> Thanks for the clarification, so the lists sent to the Volost were just
> taken from the same civil or adminstrative records we have previously
> discussed. And what was recorded in the civil or adminstrative records
> varied tremendously over the years and from village to village. And in
the>
> case of Josefstal the records appear to be very detailed with complete
> lists of births, deaths and marriages. The copies of these records sent
to>
> the Volost could be another source of information if the originals have
> been lost.
>
> What we don't know for certain is if the Josephstal list was pulled from
> the civil or administrative records from a census type periodic survey or
> if they started to maintain a seperate list of life events (births,
deaths>
> and marriages) recording them as they occured. If they started to
maintain>
> these types of records in Russia, it came late.
>
> For clarification, the term vital records in the US refers to the
> individual recording of life events, birth, death and marriages. It may
go>
> by different names in different countries. A certificate of each event
can>
> be provided by the local government for each event. It has nothing to do
> with a census or periodic record keeping.
>
> Patrice
>

> At 01:25 PM 1/7/2005, wrote:
> >further:
> >
> >Ted and Patrice !
> >
> >I have samples of Family List records from 1874 and then 1885,
> >with additional notes entered up to 1903 (in my case).
> >
> >These are called civic or administration records.
> >Copies were also with the volost' or Village District Office.
> >
> >Vera
> >

> > > This is quite an interesting find, particularly since you have seen them
> > > yourself. I have been told by Pleve that he has not seen any
vital> records
> > > for the Volga Germans and they were not kept. So perhaps he does
not> know
> > > because they were not kept by the archives or they were very rare and he
> > > has just not come across them.
> > >
> > > The question that Robert asked was about a 1847 marriage. For this time
> > > period, I am confident, from everything I have learned, that there
were>
> > not
> > > any vital records. Perhaps sometime after 1874 when Family Lists (or
> > > Administrative Village lists or Civil Lists) were instituted, the record
> > > keeping could have been changed or evolved over time.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on how we might get access to some of the Volost records? I
> > > wonder how to correlate the villages with the Volosts.
> > >
> > > Patrice

> > Josefstal from
Volost> government,

> > records,

my> great-grandmothers?,

> >This message was sent using Tiscali World Mail.
> >http://www.tiscali.co.za

This message was sent using Tiscali World Mail.
http://www.tiscali.co.za

This thread: